Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Bumper Replacement Question

Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
skeezix is on a distinguished road
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Bumper Replacement Question

I would like to replace the stock rear bumper on my 1998 Tacoma (I put a dent in it and then made it worse by trying to pound it out).

Several brands are available, with prices varying from $250 or so up to over $450, with $300 being average for bumper, pads, and left/right mounts. I didn't even bother pricing one at the Toyota dealer. If any of you have replaced your chrome bumper, maybe you could let me know how the replacement is holding up (good or bad)?

Also, when buying a bumper, do they come attached to the black metal backing or are they just the chromed part? I'm thinking there must be a reason for the $200 difference in pricing.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking about replacing it with a stock bumper?

If so, it's four bolts and it's holding up just like the original one.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Is buying one of these out of the question?

Prices start at $400 unpainted.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Yea why replace it with a stock one when you can go aftermarket and have superior protection compared to that flimsy stock shit.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
toutenhoofd is on a distinguished road
Name: Nico
toutenhoofd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post

What kind of rear bumper is this? It looks great. Here's an idea... Let OP (skeezix) buy my stock rear bumper (great shape) for $200, and I'll get one of these. I'm in Boulder, CO, just like Madjik_Man
Old 05-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I wouldn't paint that (the subject in the 2nd photo) - chartreuse is fine with me

Seriously, I'd prefer the stock one because (a) I want to keep the truck looking as original as possible and, (b) the cheap factory crap that the other poster mentioned got shoved forward and dented the area below the taillight assembly, right there where it's double-paneled and impossible for me to fix, so a stock replacement will cover the dent more than the type you have.

I can't wait to get back on the trail again to see what I can booger next...
Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tac0ma View Post
Yea why replace it with a stock one when you can go aftermarket and have superior protection compared to that flimsy stock shit.

You're right about "flimsy stock shit". Not only did the tree dent the bumper, it also shoved it forward far enough to not only dent the area under the taillight but far enough to shove it into a sharp corner of its supporting bracket, causing a nice "pimple".
Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Are you talking about replacing it with a stock bumper?

If so, it's four bolts and it's holding up just like the original one.
Yes, a stock one for reasons I mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

I found the 4 bolts you mentioned, but only after loosening up every other bolt under there that was remotely connected to the bumper. I finally stopped only because I couldn't find my set of large Torx drivers to detach the chrome part from the backing plate - thus my question, is the backing plate considered part of the actual bumper?

And what brand did you buy?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezix View Post
Yes, a stock one for reasons I mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

I found the 4 bolts you mentioned, but only after loosening up every other bolt under there that was remotely connected to the bumper. I finally stopped only because I couldn't find my set of large Torx drivers to detach the chrome part from the backing plate - thus my question, is the backing plate considered part of the actual bumper?

And what brand did you buy?
I was fortunate enough to have a generous TW member give me his stock rear bumper.

My original one was dented to all hell (see my sig) and also dented my body just under the taillight.

When I replaced it I just took the four bolts (two per side) that attach the bumper to the two brackets that are bolted to the frame. The two bolts shown below:

For the bolt furthest towards the back (the one on the left - driver's side) the best angle to hit it at was through the hole where the license plate light resides:

Hope that helps
Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
>>For the bolt furthest towards the back (the one on the left - driver's side) the best angle to hit it at was through the hole where the license plate light resides<<

NOW he tells me... took me quite some time to get those rearmost bolts out - never thought about going thru the lamp holder holes...

Great tip!!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toutenhoofd View Post
Here's an idea... Let OP (skeezix) buy my stock rear bumper (great shape) for $200, and I'll get one of these. I'm in Boulder, CO, just like Madjik_Man
Hey I'd go for it if I were on your side of the divide, but being on the Western Slope means an 8-hour drive there and back plus $85 in gas.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Where are you located? I have the stock bumper from my '03 you can have for $75. It's clean and straight. I'm just north of SLC.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Where are you located? I have the stock bumper from my '03 you can have for $75. It's clean and straight. I'm just north of SLC.
If this doesn't work for you, keep an eye on Craigslist near you, I just bought a used stock chrome rear bumper for $75.

Sanded it a bit, self etching primer, and painted it matte black.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
sonnytris is on a distinguished road
Air Force: a1c
sonnytris's Tacoma Gallery
Have you sold it?
sonny
Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
damiano is on a distinguished road
Name: tony
damiano's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I'm doing the same thing w my '01 and was worried about the bolt too.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
The bees know...
Aquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to all

Navy: NavAir Reconn
Aquatic Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with you on the stock thing. Trying to do the same with mine. Mines starting to rust out. I priced a Toyota dealer bumper in chrome. Around $320. I'm still looking used.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #17

There's always one popping up here and there in the 1st gen marketplace on this site.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
rmflint is on a distinguished road
Name: David
rmflint's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm looking to replace my damaged rear stock bumper. Can you tell me what brand of bumper that is in your photo? I can't quite tell from the image.
Cheers
Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #19
CLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the roughCLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the roughCLOUDL1GHT is a jewel in the rough

Name: Garrett
CLOUDL1GHT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmflint View Post
I'm looking to replace my damaged rear stock bumper. Can you tell me what brand of bumper that is in your photo? I can't quite tell from the image.
Cheers
It's the All Pro tube rear bumper
Old 06-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #20
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a replacement front bumper by Autos Depot on Ebay, looks like the original. Buying a Genuine Toyota one is just to expensive