Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tow 97 Tacoma behind RV?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
deiter74 is on a distinguished road
deiter74's Tacoma Gallery
Tow 97 Tacoma behind RV?

I have a 1997 Toyota Tacoma xtra cab 5 spd manual transmission that I've had for a couple years now. Great truck. Can I Tow it 4 wheels down behind my Coachmen Class C RV using a tow bar?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Disconnect the drive shafts.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If it's a manual and not 4x4 you'll be fine just in neutral
Old 05-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Banned
knucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
knucklehead's Tacoma Gallery
Which engine/transmission does it have? If its a V6 with R151, you absolutely must disconnect rear driveshaft. You must not tow with xfer case in neutral, since the oil pump is driven by the input shaft, and you cannot tow with tranny in neutral, because the counter shaft (which splashes oil around for lubrication) won't turn without the input shaft also turning.

If its a 4-cyl, I don't know the transmission.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
my truck is a 4 cylinder 5 speed I've seen where some say you must tow dolly with rear wheels up some say it's ok 4 wheels down
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
BigLarry is on a distinguished road
Name: Larry
BigLarry's Tacoma Gallery
I am seeking information on the same issue. I just purchased a 2003 Taco 4x4/5speed to pull behind RV. Web site I saw said it was fine, but now am finding contradicting information, even on here. Where can I find a definitive answer about flat towing my truck. I hate to think I bought this to pull, and now I cannot. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Big Larry I've yet to get a definitive answer. One of the reasons I bought the 97 Tacoma 5 speed was to tow 4 wheels down. I don't want to tear it up towing it without the right info. i hate to have to purchase and then store a tow dolly.