1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I replace my cv axles? Maintenance questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ponethousand, May 22, 2012.

1. May 22, 2012 at 4:16 AM
    ponethousand

ponethousand [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    04 trd dc limited
    regeared, locked, armor, and stuff
    1st question

While working on my truck I noticed a lot of grease by the cv axels. In your opinion do I need to replace them?? When is a good indicator to replace your cv axels?
    2012-05-22062803_cfd7c80ce8beb80ac1c5aae0ce9a5794fdcd469d.jpg
    [​IMG]

2nd question. I'm currently at 106,000 miles. Do you think I should have my timing belt replaced? Or should I just wait until it gives me problems. Thanks for your input.

2. May 22, 2012 at 5:40 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Grease leaking out doesn't necessarily mean your CV axles are shot.

It could only mean the CV BOOT is ripped, torn, or loose. Check your CV BOOT for damage. YOu'll probably need to change the CV BOOT and replace the grease inside.

As for the timing belt.... Your owners manual is your friend.

3. May 22, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Depends.

First do as suggested above. Clean up the area and look for a hole in the boot or a bad clamp.

Assuming a hole in the boot then next question is do you hear any noise while turning or slowing down in a straight line? On the turn it would be a sort of clicking or even knocking sound. Cut the wheel hard and drive forward. Do you hear click, click, click etc.?

When coming to a stop in a straight line, if you let it slowly stop do you feel a thumping through the steering wheel or does it seem like the vehicle is not stopping smoothly? Could have a thumping sound or could just feel like the truck is driving with a flat spot on a tyre for want of a better description.

These things will give you an quickly indication on what work you might need to do.

The "depends" part comes in on if you are going to do the work your self, have the tools and have the mechanical ability (no knock intended in the least, just a matter of what you are comfortable doing mechanical wise).

If you can do the work then a noisy axle is best to replace. If it has not long started leaking, no noise or rough operation then you can pull the axle down, clean out ALL the old grease (I like brake clean to get the last bit out). Let it dry and then re grease it well and put new boots on it.

If you are taking it to a shop to do, especially the dealer, then explore your options. Even if it just needs boots I'd still check to see what the cost is to just replace the whole axle.

Example, I pinched a hole in a boot on a Camry. Leaking out the grease so needed a new one. Was feeling lazy so called the local dealer to see what it would cost to replace the boot. Gave me the price and then asked about the whole axle. Said that they had good luck using a reman axle and cost wise was only a little more than doing just the boot job. Issue was with just the boot I'd be paying labour to remove the old boot, clean everything up, re grease and then install the new boot.

Hope that helps.

Timing belt wise I've always seen replace at 90,000 although I was seeing some posts talking about 60,000 somewhere. My manual for the 3.4 lists 90,000. Do the water pump while you are there.

4. May 22, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    ponethousand

ponethousand [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    04 trd dc limited
    regeared, locked, armor, and stuff
    Thanks a lot! I do not hear any clicking and my stopping seems normal. Might have just torn a boot. I've seen how to change the cv axels, but you are right, it's what you feel comfortable with. Looking in the manual it does say to change the timing belt at 90,000 miles. I guess I'm 16,000 miles over due. Thanks again.

Products Discussed in

To Top