Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Soon to be 98 tacoma owner - any advice much appreciated!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Nugzilla is on a distinguished road
Nugzilla's Tacoma Gallery
Question Soon to be 98 tacoma owner - any advice much appreciated!

Hi, I have a question to ask some of the knowledgeable people here. I'm looking at buying a clean 98 tacoma extended cab 4 x 4 TRD V6 with 160k miles. Auto trans, Power locks, windows, abs, cruise ect. The guy is asking 8000.

The maintenance history on this truck so far is unknown. It made no sounds and drove well with the small exception of just a little play in the wheel. The belts looked alright and the undercarriage was rust and oil free.

My real questions from all this are these:

are there any certain things Known to go out around the 160k mileage in these vehicles?

Is there any thing I should check out especially well on this vehicle before proceeding with a purchase?

Any common problems to cause wheel play?

As a hopeful soon to be Tacoma owner, are there any nuggets of information anyone thinks I should have?

Does this seem like generally a good price for this vehicle?

Any response to any or all of these questions would be much appreciated

thanks!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like a reasonable price.
Ask about the timing belt, thermostat, water pump, and if they have kept maintenance records.
Good luck. sounds like a nice truck
Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
as long as it has been well maintained that seems to me to be a ok price. kind of on the upper end range, but like I said, as long as its been maintained.
you should try to find out about timing belt. it needs to be replaced at the 90k miles point and no longer. so you could be coming near that point, (her 2nd) and its not a job for a novice, (I would not try it myself).
if front end is loose, prob. tie end rods, and or upper and lower ball joints.
(I am getting ready to do mine)(177,300) all normal wear and tear.
get a carfax!!!!! try to check into the frame recall, and remember and car/truck with miles expect to do maintenance and replace things.
lots of info here on almost everything you can think of, and more. and with just a min amount of maintenance these trucks will go a long way, and with great maintenance they will last almost forever.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Once you get it look up the deckplate mod, your gonna need it! Lol i just did it to mine and it restored power that the ac took away. Goo luck! Im a pretty new taco owner too
Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
As everyone has stated, get maintenance records and find out if the timing belt and water pump were replaced. Price seems fair. My last Taco was a 98, great truck. Good luck.

BTW, welcome to TW!!