1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soon to be 98 tacoma owner - any advice much appreciated!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Nugzilla, May 22, 2012.

1. May 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    Nugzilla

Nugzilla [OP] New Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 taco sr5 trd A/T xtra cab
    Hi, I have a question to ask some of the knowledgeable people here. I'm looking at buying a clean 98 tacoma extended cab 4 x 4 TRD V6 with 160k miles. Auto trans, Power locks, windows, abs, cruise ect. The guy is asking 8000.

The maintenance history on this truck so far is unknown. It made no sounds and drove well with the small exception of just a little play in the wheel. The belts looked alright and the undercarriage was rust and oil free.

My real questions from all this are these:

are there any certain things Known to go out around the 160k mileage in these vehicles?

Is there any thing I should check out especially well on this vehicle before proceeding with a purchase?

Any common problems to cause wheel play?

As a hopeful soon to be Tacoma owner, are there any nuggets of information anyone thinks I should have?

Does this seem like generally a good price for this vehicle?

Any response to any or all of these questions would be much appreciated

thanks!

2. May 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    Seems like a reasonable price.
    Ask about the timing belt, thermostat, water pump, and if they have kept maintenance records.
    Good luck. sounds like a nice truck

3. May 23, 2012 at 5:18 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    as long as it has been well maintained that seems to me to be a ok price. kind of on the upper end range, but like I said, as long as its been maintained.
    you should try to find out about timing belt. it needs to be replaced at the 90k miles point and no longer. so you could be coming near that point, (her 2nd) and its not a job for a novice, (I would not try it myself).
    if front end is loose, prob. tie end rods, and or upper and lower ball joints.
    (I am getting ready to do mine)(177,300) all normal wear and tear.
    get a carfax!!!!! try to check into the frame recall, and remember and car/truck with miles expect to do maintenance and replace things.
    lots of info here on almost everything you can think of, and more. and with just a min amount of maintenance these trucks will go a long way, and with great maintenance they will last almost forever.

4. May 23, 2012 at 6:24 AM
    austinramsay

austinramsay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Yuma, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD Doublecab
    Once you get it look up the deckplate mod, your gonna need it! Lol i just did it to mine and it restored power that the ac took away. Goo luck! Im a pretty new taco owner too ;)

5. May 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    trmarshall1

trmarshall1 The Least Interesting Man In The World

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Supercharged
    4" Pro-Comp Lift, TRD cat back exhaust, grey wire mod, clutch pedal linear spring mod
    As everyone has stated, get maintenance records and find out if the timing belt and water pump were replaced. Price seems fair. My last Taco was a 98, great truck. Good luck.

BTW, welcome to TW!!

Products Discussed in

To Top