Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

exhaust leak coming from headers

Old 05-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
cheese7882 is on a distinguished road

cheese7882's Tacoma Gallery
exhaust leak coming from headers

I just had my battery replaced today and the guy at the shop said it sounds like I have a leak near my headers. I checked it out myself and there is definetley a leak, whether its gaskets or an actual hole I do not know which. I was wondering how much OEM headers go for and if anyone knows a reputable website that sells them, or if I should just go to Napa Auto Parts and have them order me some headers.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Might not be your headers FYI, it could easily just be the gasket. Not sure about the 1st Gens but the 2nd just use a bimetal crush gasket. Replace the gasket and use a high temp silicone gasket type sealer and you should be more then fine. Unless its rusted pipes..
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #3

I'll give that a shot. It passed smog back in January so im good for 2 years also, is there a difference between headers and the manifold? Ive never had to deal with exhaust before so I'm learning as I go.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese7882 View Post
I'll give that a shot. It passed smog back in January so im good for 2 years also, is there a difference between headers and the manifold? Ive never had to deal with exhaust before so I'm learning as I go.
Is your Taco a I4 or V6 engine?

And when people say headers, they are referring to the pipes immediately off the engine.

Manifold is different though, there is an intake manifold and an exhaust manifold. When people say exhaust manifold though they are refering to the exact same immediate piping off the engine. Same as the headers. Just different terminology.

The intake manifold is on top of the engine and directs the incoming air flow to each of the cylinders.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #5

Its an I4, 2.4l 2RZ. I am familiar with the intake manifold, I just didnt know if headers and exhaust manifold were two different things or one in the same. By looking at pictures, I assume the headers are what plug directly into the engine block???
Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #6

Let me dig up some pics, one min
Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #7

Best I can find is this vid here. At 0:17 you see the thin plate horizontal off the left side of the engine? That is your exhaust heat shield, right below it are the 4 pipes that come out of each cyclinder before joining into 1 pipe. That is your exhaust header/exhaust manifold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8sc3...eature=related
Old 05-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #8

Yup, thats where the leak is coming from, that area. I'll buy a gasket first, hopefully that solves it. Otherwise, who makes a good header thats affordable? I prefer OEM, but if an upgrade doesnt cost that much more than I'll take the better.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a leak, you will see black soot where the leak is coming from. Sometimes all a leak is a loose nut. Exhaust fasteners aren't tight due to the extreme temps they encounter and expansion and contraction of the metals can do this. See if you can snug up your exhaust manifold nuts and also the flange nuts that go down to your cat from the manifold. Not sure if you have to remove any heat shields to access your manifold or not, but be sure to hit those nuts with some WD-40 or equivilent when the engine is cold. It helps out alot. If you can't stop the leak by tightening the fasteners then most likely you'll just need new gaskets, but hey, if you're gonna take the manifold off, you might as well get headers and be more bad ass. Lots of different manufactures. Try googling headers for tacoma and go from there, also check out some of the 1st gen build pages to get some more info. Good luck
Old 05-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #10

I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the help.