Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Starter Going Bad

Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Starter Going Bad

I have a 98 4runner which has the same 3.4 5vz engine as the Tacomas so I figured I'd post in here due to more traffic. As the title states, my starter is going bad and I'm trying to find the most cost efficient replacement. What would you guys do? Get one from the dealer, or do you know of someplace else? Seeing that the current starter already has 260k miles on it, I'd rather just replace the whole unit with a new one.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
You can go to toyota and buy just the contacts. They are probably the culprit. Much cheaper than a replacement starter.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Im not sure whats exactly broken inside it. When I crank it it makes a really bad grinding and cracking sound but it still starts everytime nonetheless.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Hope you haven't knocked teeth off the flywheel, could be a weak bendix also.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #5

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
I pulled the inspection plate off to look at the flex plate and it looks fine.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
Tim, you can get your starter rebuilt by a local company that does that sort of repair. Use you phone book or ask people who have used the services of a rebuilder. Your armature is probably worn out, the starter bushings are worn out and the brushes need replacing, and your starter bendix is worn out after 260 k. These pieces are all out there if you want to keep your original starter. OR
I am sure he will have a rebuilt one that is identical to your original. You can either route, if he rebuilds yours, it can take a few days or you can walk out the door with a rebuilt. The option is up to you. Good Luck.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
From what I understand that starter is a job to R/R so I'd want a quality rebuild starter and only do the job one time.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
wcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Cliff
wcp0611's Tacoma Gallery
Let me check my warehouse. Might have a new one I can send you for like thirty bucks or so, if you're interested. We get pretty awesome discounts on parts.

Automatic or manual?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #9

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcp0611 View Post
Let me check my warehouse. Might have a new one I can send you for like thirty bucks or so, if you're interested. We get pretty awesome discounts on parts.

Automatic or manual?
Ooh sounds good, automatic. Let me know! Thanks
Old 05-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
wcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the rough
wcp0611's Tacoma Gallery
Sure will. Let me get to work in about an hour or so and I'll post back up with whether we have one or not.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
wcp0611's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, I looked all over and we have a ton of starters and alts, but we don't have the specific Remy number you use. Sorry man.