Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Another Frame Rusted

Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
curtisvitoria is on a distinguished road
curtisvitoria's Tacoma Gallery
Another Frame Rusted

Hey just thought I would introduce myself..... Bought a 2000 Taco 4x4 xtra cab a while back off my co-worker who bought it new. Truck is in awesome shape and was really well taken care of, I don't think he ever had it in 4x4. Long story short I recently picked up some TRD flares to put on and figured I would have my buddy cut polish it. He did a killer job and the truck looks like it got a re-spray. I figured I might as well undercoat the frame rails to finish it off. To my surprise, when I was wire brushing all of the loose crap off I noticed (more than normal) rust. I then found a couple of holes on the inner rail above the leaf spring hanger. I thought WTF? Keep in mind I had no idea about these frames or the recall until I did a search after my findings. So I call up the previous owner, and asked him about it.... He tells me after he received the letter ,he took it in and Toyota they coated the frame a sent him on his way. So after all of this I call Toyota Canada and they set up a case # and tell me to take it to the dealership, happens to be the same one who coated it. I have an appt. 930am this friday. Any guesses as to what they will do?
Attached Thumbnails
Another Frame Rusted-dscn0275.jpg   Another Frame Rusted-dscn0277.jpg   Another Frame Rusted-dscn0269.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
CliffordBRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
CliffordBRD's Tacoma Gallery
Depends, from my readings they'll use a hammer and punch and strike the frame a few time and if a hole develops at any point they'll take further action. Whether it is buying it back/switching the frame out, I'm not sure what they'd do.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
I just started to fall in love with this truck! Good thing I waited to order my wheels and suspension. Has anyone had the buy back after the coating process?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
95-00 are buy backs.

Only 01-04 will have their frames replaced
Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Nick82 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Nick
Nick82's Tacoma Gallery
99% sure you just lost your truck. My 99 Tacoma didn't even have any through holes and they bought it back last month. I had a 1999 x cab v6 4x4 240000 miles and they cut me a check for 11,500.00. The process was fast 3 weeks from inspection to check in hand.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick82 View Post
99% sure you just lost your truck. My 99 Tacoma didn't even have any through holes and they bought it back last month. I had a 1999 x cab v6 4x4 240000 miles and they cut me a check for 11,500.00. The process was fast 3 weeks from inspection to check in hand.
OP what did you pay for the truck and how many miles?

With those holes, I too would guess that they won't let you drive it away. $11,500 would be awesome!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
strip parts off of it if they will let you and take it in
Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
Because fuck you that's why...
Trigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
Trigo's Tacoma Gallery
Hasn't happened to my 99 yet from what I can tell but does anyone know if they'll still do this if the truck has a salvage title? Because I heard that they won't do anything if it does...
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
I actually got the truck for a pretty good deal, what do you suppose I strip off it? Tires? Flares? Btw the way I DID buy it from original owner like I said and he took amazing care of it. The truck (aside from the frame) is near mint. Has anyone up here in Canada been through this process? Also, how many people have gone through this after the so called re-coat of the frame? Thanks for all of the input. The truck has 165000 miles 260000 km. As far as how long I haved owned it, I actually have only had it for a month, I had big Plans for this thing and had no idea about these crap frames. I would have went newer. Even if they give me more than I paid , it's still a waste of time and a huge headache. I'm gonna research 06+ any surprises with those?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #11
Nick82 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Nick
Nick82's Tacoma Gallery
No they will not buy back a truck with a salvage title. Also they will let you take anything like a tool box or bed cover, however everything that is factory must be on the vehicle or they will deduct from what they give you. I was also told they will deduct for any major unrepaired damages. Otherwise they will give you 1.5 times the best kbb value.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Curtis, I'm in Canada and have been through both the buy back (my '98) and the re-frame on my 2002. If you love the first gens look around for one that toyota has reframed or look for one that has been checked already but hasn't failed YET but will in the near future. I did this deal and I've got a brand new 2002 taco.

If you have any questions about the process, pm me if you want.

Cheers and too bad that truck, looks awesome.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Well if you are buying in Canada the rust issue would be the same on any vehicle you buy regardless of the year or make steel when exposed to salt will rust.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
The crazy part of all of this is where I live in Canada. We don't get many minus days throughout the winter and the city will only salt major intersections 5 times a year MAX and that is only if we have an abnormally cold winter. This thing has had mudflaps on it since day 1 and always washed. Just goes to show how vulnerable these things are to rust. I have a 1960 beetle which is 3 inches off the ground that I have driven through the winter months here and there is no rust in the pan and this thing is 62 years old.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
Couple more pics. Also brand new Kumho 31s & windshield is 10 days old.WASTE!
Attached Thumbnails
Another Frame Rusted-dscn0269.jpg   Another Frame Rusted-dscn0272.jpg   Another Frame Rusted-dscn0276.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
TWFSA, Here in Ontario we are the worst for rust because of our love of salt. I get my vehicles undercoated every year, I usually use Krown. They even drill holes into body parts, fill them will oil and then put a plug in, then repeat every year. Although every vehicle will rust, there are definitely lots of frames of other makes that have held up fine.

Flake rust on the exterior of a frame is nothing to worry about (Usually). These taco frames having no corrosion inhibitor applied at Dana corp, and having the full box frame construcion that just traps rocks, sand, salt and water inside were doomed to rot from the inside out from the beggining.

I spray oil right in my new frame every few months and after 4x4'n I blast the crap out of there with a pressure sprayer.

I'm hoping the frame will last as long as the rest of the truck now! I think it will, but time will tell.

DC
Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
My 95 rusted out the same place by the spring shackle. My truck was in great condition except for that and it went to the crusher. My co-worker has 2002 Tacoma and they coated his frame. The coating didn't last a year and his frame became perforated and they replaced his whole frame. Don't buy a Tacoma any older than a 2001 or you could end up in the same situation again.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
Thanks for all the great info guys, I guess we will se what happens, I will keep you posted.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
Well took her in @ 930am for the appointment & waited for roughly an hour and a half. When they were done the sevice mgr approached me with his card and explained that my truck (a 2000) fell one year short of the frame replacement. He then went on to tell me I would be getting an offer from Toyota for the buy back option. He said Toyota is quite generous with the offers and I won't be disappointed. He DID let me drive home and said the holes should not affect anything before this is all said and done. Waiting to hear back with an offer. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
find out of you can strip parts off and sell them. from what i understood truck just had to drive in under its own power