Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Recommend a personal diagnostic computer?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
License2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
License2Ill's Tacoma Gallery
Recommend a personal diagnostic computer?

New taco owner. DIY'er. Like to invest in this. Any suggestions? Computer interfaced or stand alone unit will work. 2004 xtra-cab. Yes I know AZ will do it for free.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a serious and complete diagnostic computer program you will want to purchase the Auto Enginuity program. http://www.autoenginuity.com/index.html

It is expensive, but read all the features that you get and you will have the capabilities of a dealership system at home. You can do as I have done and just purchase the base program at $249.95 and it will provide all the information you would want up to the dealership computer repair level. It is a lifetime free update program and the company is very quick to respond. It has been copied and is on E bay, but the company does not support the knock offs , but it is cheaper.
The Auto Enginuity program gives you the option to open the features of the program that do allow you to do dealership level alterations to your Taco or any other Toyota, if you get the Toyota module opened. That is an additional $149.95 and it stays open for life. You do not need to update the module, but if you do, it is another 50 dollars a year. You can skip a few years and update it later if you want to. Or you do not have to pay for the updates and it will work.

This is the most advanced home based system that costs under a thousand dollars. I am sure others will post their preferences for their system that they prefer, this is the one I have.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
elm 327 bluetooth dongle + android smartphone + free "torque" app

$30 and works amazing, and because the average smartphone has 100x better hardware and display than the average scan tool, it allows you to do a lot of cool things with live data, custom graphs and displays, + it's all wireless and extremely compact.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post

$30 and works amazing, and because the average smartphone has 100x better hardware and display than the average scan tool, it allows you to do a lot of cool things with live data, custom graphs and displays, + it's all wireless and extremely compact.
This does work great! Though I think there may be an ad free paid version.. I could be wrong..
Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
This does work great! Though I think there may be an ad free paid version.. I could be wrong..
There is but it's like a dollar and well worth it.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
License2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga tacoguy View Post
If you want a serious and complete diagnostic computer program you will want to purchase the Auto Enginuity program. http://www.autoenginuity.com/index.html

It is expensive, but read all the features that you get and you will have the capabilities of a dealership system at home. You can do as I have done and just purchase the base program at $249.95 and it will provide all the information you would want up to the dealership computer repair level. It is a lifetime free update program and the company is very quick to respond. It has been copied and is on E bay, but the company does not support the knock offs , but it is cheaper.
The Auto Enginuity program gives you the option to open the features of the program that do allow you to do dealership level alterations to your Taco or any other Toyota, if you get the Toyota module opened. That is an additional $149.95 and it stays open for life. You do not need to update the module, but if you do, it is another 50 dollars a year. You can skip a few years and update it later if you want to. Or you do not have to pay for the updates and it will work.

This is the most advanced home based system that costs under a thousand dollars. I am sure others will post their preferences for their system that they prefer, this is the one I have.
Sweet I'll look into that!

Quote:

Yeeeeahhh. I won't own a smartfone.

But I remember at one point telling myself I'd never sleep with a girl with a tramp-stamp... 30 STD's later. Thanks for teh replies!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ultragauge/Scanguage can read and clear codes.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post

I have the elm 327 USB unit, and I hook it up to a laptop. If you get the proscan software it will tell you more than the free program that comes with it. It provides a lot of different sensor information. It was like $14 shipped, and it works well. I think it's better than the auto parts store $80 scanner.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ultragauge/Scanguage can read and clear codes.
Quote:
I have the elm 327 USB unit, and I hook it up to a laptop. If you get the proscan software it will tell you more than the free program that comes with it. It provides a lot of different sensor information. It was like $14 shipped, and it works well. I think it's better than the auto parts store $80 scanner.
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into those both. Cheers.