Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

First post.....One question for now

Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
randytrish is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
randytrish's Tacoma Gallery
First post.....One question for now

I want to say hello and I'm very impressed with your forum. I've recently purchased a 03 xcab 4x4 auto one owner truck with 192k miles. I bought it from my neighbor, an older gentlemen who purchased it new. Never off road or used for towing. Always garaged. It had the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt and tensioners replaced at 105k along with plugs and wires.
All of the fluids are original. I plan on flushing the brake fluid at the next oil change and then on to the differentials and transfer case.
Now to my question.
What to do about the transmission fluid. It's never been changed and I believe the manual states as change when needed. The fluid looks dark, but not burnt and still has the transmission fluid smell. No transmission problems, shifts great. I don't use the flush machines. I unhook the trans line at the radiator, start the vehicle and let it idle and pump out the old fluid usually around two quarts at a time, refill. This takes 14 to 16 quarts total.
So what's the opinion here?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post,
Randy
Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not an auto guy.

However, in my life's experience, I've seen that changing auto fluid that seems long overdue usually results in a quick death for the transmisdion after new fluid is put in it. I would leave it alone.

Of course, change everything else like you mentioned.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
drain and refill, go a week and do it again, go another week and do it again, go another week and do it again until the fluid changes to a nice bright red and you feel that it's been cycled through. if you don't like the color or smell keep at it until you do.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome......and as stated above.......do drain and fills once a week til all new fluid is thru out the transmission. And i believe you'll find that 4 quarts per drain and fill will put the fluid where it needs to be.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
I have decided to do the drain and replace procedure. Where's a good place to pick up the fluid? Dealership...On Line? I bet I've read through 50 posts regarding the type IV fluid and it sounds like the OE Toyota type IV is the way to go. I'm not interested in going with synthetic with these miles on my truck. Thanks for your responses.
Randy
Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by randytrish View Post
I have decided to do the drain and replace procedure. Where's a good place to pick up the fluid? Dealership...On Line? I bet I've read through 50 posts regarding the type IV fluid and it sounds like the OE Toyota type IV is the way to go. I'm not interested in going with synthetic with these miles on my truck. Thanks for your responses.
Randy
Yeah....dealership is probably best place to get the t4 fljid.....unless you order it online. Castrol for multi import vehicles is good stuff as well....and its compatible.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Well after you buy all that fluid, time, labor, and mess why not just flush it?

I would use your unhook the trans line at the radiator method and be done with it, that way the converter gets fresh fluid, IMHO drain and add method is a waste of money and time!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
I would drain in one time and refill. I agree with messing with a tranny that overdue may cause a failure.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. Best of luck.

Frank
Old 05-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Have any of you guys did the trans line removal from the radiator on a Tacoma? I have two Volvo's and that's the procedure I've used on them for years. I've also did it on a full size Tahoe I used to own. You remove the trans line that is going to the radiator cooler and slide a hose over the end of it and place in a milk jug. Start the car and let it idle in park until the trans pumps the pan empty, usually around 20 seconds. Turn off the car and refill whatever you pumped out. You can mark a container and stop it at two quarts. It's easy to keep up with that way. You can usually see a difference in around 8 quarts. I usually do 12 quarts every 50k and at 12 quarts it looks like new. I'll have to locate my fluid, I'm curious to what the dealer wants for the Type VI. I'll have to pull the skid plate off and try to determine which line to disconnect. Does anyone by chance know? I'll keep you posted. It maybe toward the end of the week before I have time. Oh, is the Castol fluid mentioned above OK to use?
Thanks,
Randy