Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

seat cover destroyed my headrest

Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
seat cover destroyed my headrest

I've been using one of these cabelas eat covers

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto-ATV/Auto-Interior/Auto-Seat-Covers|/pc/104796180/c/104697180/sc/104558580/Cabelas-Trail-Gear-Seat-Covers/1217826.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fauto-atv-auto-interior-auto-seat-covers%2F_%2FN-1100765&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104558580

Being that it's a one piece fabric over the seat back, when the tension is torqued down (to keep the fabric taunt looking), it applies downward pressure on the foam of the head rest. I guess over a 2 year period, the pressure on the foam was such that the foam was pushed through the metal rod within the head rest, leaving only the seat fabric and no foam padding between the back of my head and the metal rod. This should server as warning for anyone using this style of seat covers.

Now, where would I find a replacement head rest? any idea on pricing?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
I've been using one of these cabelas eat covers

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto-ATV/Auto-Interior/Auto-Seat-Covers|/pc/104796180/c/104697180/sc/104558580/Cabelas-Trail-Gear-Seat-Covers/1217826.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fauto-atv-auto-interior-auto-seat-covers%2F_%2FN-1100765&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104558580

Being that it's a one piece fabric over the seat back, when the tension is torqued down (to keep the fabric taunt looking), it applies downward pressure on the foam of the head rest. I guess over a 2 year period, the pressure on the foam was such that the foam was pushed through the metal rod within the head rest, leaving only the seat fabric and no foam padding between the back of my head and the metal rod. This should server as warning for anyone using this style of seat covers.

Now, where would I find a replacement head rest? any idea on pricing?
FWIW

I've never had a seat cover and both my headrests are severely facked up... similar to what you describe.

You can always manipulate the hell out of the POS headrest and move that horizontal metal bar behind the foam. That's what I'm having to do once a week or so

As for pricing, best to find one in a junkyard.

For the 95-00 bucket seat, the dealership asks $350/pair for SR5 package and $163/pair without SR5 package.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
hmm interesting.. passenger headrest is fine.. driver side I never really rest my head on the headrest anyways.. don't know how else it couldn't have gotten like this... down ward pressure is the only way that makes sense to me..

Aren't you afraid of being in a car crash and when your head swings back, you'll crack your skull on the metal rod?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Both of mine are like that also and I've also never had seat covers. I think it is just a poor design or weak material. Mine doesn't bother me though because I never use the headrests.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm found these... cheap as hell

http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota...t_motorsports/
Old 05-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
hmm interesting.. passenger headrest is fine.. driver side I never really rest my head on the headrest anyways.. don't know how else it couldn't have gotten like this... down ward pressure is the only way that makes sense to me..

Aren't you afraid of being in a car crash and when your head swings back, you'll crack your skull on the metal rod?
Those head rests are so poorly designed that I'd probably snap my neck. At which point I probably don't care if my head hits that bar.

And I tried (poorly) explaining that I wiggle the hell out of the headrest so that the metal bar is now behind the padding. So when I rest my head on the pad all I feel is cushion.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Holy crap.

I'm all over that

Thanks for the link
Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm fucking website... i realized it's only a pair of stupid gemstone collar for the extension bar.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
That link is for the diamond collars around the headrest post, not the actual headrest.

Edit: ^^^ Beat me to it.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #10

lol

"if it's too good to be true..."
Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Holy crap.

I'm all over that

Thanks for the link
I'm still all over those "Diamond encrusted Head Rest Collars". They will add a lot of "shine" and "style" to my Tacoma....or any other vehicle.

At $18 they must be amazing diamonds.