1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Well that was interesting... Starter is bad

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 07gtimyfast, May 25, 2012.

1. May 25, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    07gtimyfast

07gtimyfast [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just thought I would share the incident that occurred the other day with my 97 2.4l regular cab 2wd Tacoma.

Just like any other day I jump in the ole truck, turn the key over and she cranks up. But then... Oh wait... that dreaded "starter is still engaged" sound. So without missing a beat I switch it off, and pull out the key, still just-a-spinnin, pop the hood and jump out, rip open the fuse/relay cover and yank the starter solenoid out expecting that to do the trick. Nope still just-a-spinnin. Reach over and grab the battery terminal + with my super man-ly strength I rip the terminal loose. Finally... she stops-a-spinnin.

Now all this occurred in a period of about 10-15 seconds, I think that was the fastest diagnosis I have made on a vehicle yet! Process of elimination says.....

Starter is bad.

2. May 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Yep, same thing happened to me. I got water in the starter and the truck sat for 2 weeks and when it turned on it froze up and continued to do w/e it pleased. Lesson learned, start your truck more often.

Products Discussed in

To Top