Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Time for a brake change...

Old 05-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
cheese7882 is on a distinguished road

cheese7882's Tacoma Gallery
Time for a brake change...

Im going to change my front brakes this weekend, was also thinking about bleeding the whole brake system. Its a '97 with 87k on it. I bought my truck off my buddy a few years ago and I dont think the system has ever been completely bled. My question is, would a brake system bleed be necessaryand if so, any thoughts on how much fluid I need?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese7882 View Post
Im going to change my front brakes this weekend, was also thinking about bleeding the whole brake system. Its a '97 with 87k on it. I bought my truck off my buddy a few years ago and I dont think the system has ever been completely bled. My question is, would a brake system bleed be necessaryand if so, any thoughts on how much fluid I need?
Make sure you flush the fluid if it's dark in color. Get a turkey baster from the supermarket (or elsewhere) and suck the old fluid out of the reservoir and fill it with new fluid. Flush it all out until it comes out clean and without air.

Get the bigger container of fluid, its only a couple of dollars more. It's 20oz or something.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Get one of the large bottles, they're like 6 or 7$ IIRC. Be sure to check which type of fluid it is but I believe DOT 3.

You may not use it all but it's not that much money. It's probably not necessary but might be a good idea.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
yes highly advised especially if the fluid is anything from near clear in color.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
yes, with ABS sensors, and to protect brake lines, and to keep parts working, ( remember brake fluid has a job also as a lubricate) and it also collects moisture in system. keep it good and fresh and you will be doing your entire brakes system a favor and your wallet.
now I use dot4, it a little more, give a little more protection and I think its worth it. but dot3 is good also, really keeping it flushed and fresh puts you miles above most people. never have been sold on synthetic brake fluid, (since I don't drive a F1 race car or NASCAR, don't see the advantage.
and when I flush mine, I do the turkey baster method first, to get as much good fluid up front then bleed the lines out, i think its a 8mm, start farthest away and work back.