Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1999 grill options

Old 05-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
CollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the rough
Name: Taylor
CollegeTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
1999 grill options

I like the grill look of the 01 + first gens but know they don't fit without replacing the front end.
What are my options here? I don't really like the old first gen look as much, I know I could grill craft or sotashi but I haven't seen an older first gen with them yet.
Anyone have any advice? Thanks
Old 05-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
CollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the rough
The 97 grills somewhat look like the newer ones without the vertical bars. Will they fit?
Old 05-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
The 95-97 grille swap is much easier than 01-04 swap

Here's a great thread (with lots of info in it) http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-end-swap.html

In short if you were to swap to a 95-97 (which is what I'm going to do), you'll need:

Grille/grille surround
Headlight assemblies
Headlight fillers

And maybe a new bumper/valence. I am under the impression that it probably is not necessary.

The person you want to contact is STLHarry...

Good luck.

PS - where in CO are you? If you do the swap maybe we can meet up and help each other
Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
I'm on the westslope. What about you? Also any grill options that could just fit ? Maybe aftermarket
Old 05-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeTacoma View Post
I'm on the westslope. What about you? Also any grill options that could just fit ? Maybe aftermarket
I'm in Boulder/front range

The 95-97 grille will indeed just fit. But you obviously need new headlight assemblies and those little headlight/bumper fillers.

I don't know of any aftermarket grilles (other than those trying to recreate OEM) that would fit. I'd assume that's such a small market niche that no one manufactures anything like it.

Go to rockauto - the grilles are $32 or something like that. The fillers are about $3 each, and you can buy super cheap headlight assemblies.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
Satoshi I made
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...4051_large.jpg
Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Two versions of the grill I did:

Then I decided to mount the grill material flush, and painted the surround black:

Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTHe FioLOxX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Taco View Post
Two versions of the grill I did:

Then I decided to mount the grill material flush, and painted the surround black:

Man those look good. What did they cost you? either of you have a write up for it? or interested in selling lol
Old 05-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I'm in Boulder/front range

The 95-97 grille will indeed just fit. But you obviously need new headlight assemblies and those little headlight/bumper fillers.

I don't know of any aftermarket grilles (other than those trying to recreate OEM) that would fit. I'd assume that's such a small market niche that no one manufactures anything like it.

Go to rockauto - the grilles are $32 or something like that. The fillers are about $3 each, and you can buy super cheap headlight assemblies.
have you seen the write up for what we are trying to do yet? like is there an exact one for the grill swap?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
I make them too order if your interested
Pm me exactly what your looking for and I'll give you and estimate
Old 05-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #12

Quote:
have you seen the write up for what we are trying to do yet? like is there an exact one for the grill swap?
There isn't a detailed write up for a 98-00 to a 95-97.

If you click on that TW link I provided above, you'll see some of my posts have links to other forums which have some walkthroughs/answers/etc

The closest thing to a write up is STLHarry's swap. He put a 95-97 grille/front-end on a 01-04. Like I said though, that is more intensive than putting a 95-97 grille on a 98-00

If you search for STLHarry, he has a link to his write up in his signature.

While you're at it, he has a lot of answers (which are mostly posted in that thread I linked above)
Old 05-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Man those look good. What did they cost you? either of you have a write up for it? or interested in selling lol
Mine was pretty cheap because I didnt buy a new grill to work with. So all I paid for was the mesh, fiberglass, and bondo. I'd say $50-60. Havent seen a detailed write-up but I have been thinkin about doing one. I took pictures for the majority of the process
Old 05-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Thanks guys, You should do the write up AK, and thanks for all the info Madjik. When are you doing yours?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
Quote:
There isn't a detailed write up for a 98-00 to a 95-97.

If you click on that TW link I provided above, you'll see some of my posts have links to other forums which have some walkthroughs/answers/etc

The closest thing to a write up is STLHarry's swap. He put a 95-97 grille/front-end on a 01-04. Like I said though, that is more intensive than putting a 95-97 grille on a 98-00

If you search for STLHarry, he has a link to his write up in his signature.

While you're at it, he has a lot of answers (which are mostly posted in that thread I linked above)
Did you find a total price to do this by the way? out of curiousity
Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
'Murrica!

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks guys, You should do the write up AK, and thanks for all the info Madjik. When are you doing yours?
Satoshi write-up is now in the works. should be done later tonight
Old 05-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Did you find a total price to do this by the way? out of curiousity
Quote:
Or you can see if there are any junk yards to see if you can get cheaper parts?

And maybe scour the for sale marketplace here on TW
Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Satoshi on my old 99 with a 2nd gen "TOYOTA" badge in the middle.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Satoshi on my old 99 with a 2nd gen "TOYOTA" badge in the middle.

Thanks man that looks good. Did; you do yours?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks man that looks good. Did; you do yours?
Me and a fellow AZ'er