Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why do I keep blowing pinion seals?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
RTO
FailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
FailRated's Tacoma Gallery
Why do I keep blowing pinion seals?

Since I put 4.56 gears in my truck a month ago I have gone through two rear pinion seals. The first one was the dust shield on the new pinion yoke contacting the seal. So I pulled the 3rd member and took it back to my diff guy. He took it back apart checked everything, removed the dust sheild and now a week later with no dust sheild on the yoke, I'm leaking from the pinion seal again. WTF do I do now?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Breather plugged?
Lube overfilled?
Pinion shaft has a crack/chip/scratch?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Pinion bearings set up correctly?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
RTO
FailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Breather plugged?
Lube overfilled?
Pinion shaft has a crack/chip/scratch?
How would I check the breather?
Oil level is correct as far as I know. It took a little over 2 qts before it started pouring out the fill hole.
I'll inspect the pinion where it contacts the seal the best I can.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
RTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Pinion bearings set up correctly?
As far as I can tell. There is no movement when I grab/shake the drive shaft by the pinion flange.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Spin the breather by hand to see if its free. If it's clogged the pressure will force the oil out when it heats up. Then again, it would've leaked before the gear change, and would probably leak into the rear brakes too.

There could be a groove in the tailshaft where the seal is. Could be a bad seal too. There's many things to guess at, but an inspection is in order.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
The breather sits on top of the housing, little silver cap, make sure it moves around loose. You could always re-route it higher with a filter on top if you like to drive through water.

Just wondering if they set the right pre-load on the bearings.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
RTO

I know where the breather is. I'll spin it to make sure it's free. As far as correct bearing preload, I have to trust my diff guy. He is reputable, very straight forward and I know him personally(not just a random mechanic I found in the yellow pages)

This is just getting frustrating. The 3rd member is to freaking heavy to keep pulling it out. Although I've done it enough times recently that it only takes me an hour to remove and an hour to install.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailRated View Post
He is reputable, very straight forward
Yet his "solution" to your problem was to remove the dust cover that is on every other diff on the road and not causing problems?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
RTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Yet his "solution" to your problem was to remove the dust cover that is on every other diff on the road and not causing problems?
The new yoke is an aftermarket unit and he did show me where it was contacting the seal. I see your point though. Why would the dust sheild contact the seal?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
allian04 is on a distinguished road
allian04's Tacoma Gallery
did you ever figure out the issue? i just installed 4.56s and mine is leaking also, i just cleaned my breather out it was rusted shut yesterday so I'm gonna see what happens today
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Am I the only one who read the title and thought to tell him to leave those seals alone....lmao