Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

96 Tacoma 2.7L squeaking noise and puttering noise from engine

Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta love them easy fixes. Well done.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #22
Rodeo73 is on a distinguished road

Rodeo73's Tacoma Gallery
A few years back, I had a knocking noise in my engine. It started one day and I discovered it was my 3rd spark plug. It had come loose in the plug body. After I replaced it, the engine sounded normal. This was about 8 years ago. Never jump to conclusions about knocking noise until you look things over throughly. By the way, mine was a '97 4 cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo73 View Post
Check your spark plugs. A loose spark plug can make a knocking noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaCkaL829 View Post
One last final update, at least in regard to the knocking

I just drained the oil (no shavings at all), put 10w-40 and some risilone engine treatment. Same exact results. At this point, with it running, I start to pull spark plug wires 1 at a time. Same noise for all, except for the third one. I pull the 3rd and it's quiet and no knocking at all. So I know the problem is from this cylinder. Turn it off, and check the plug. The plug was tight, as checked before, but when I took the actual plug out and check the gap, I notice the plug is broken. The actual plug is rotating freely within the nut. I have no idea how this happened considering this is an OEM Denso plug that was put it in brand new this past fall. So I take one of the extra plugs that the truck had in it, check the gap, put it in, and just like magic the knock is completely gone.

I'm really not sure how the plug got messed up, but I'm VERY VERY happy and relieved that I found the problem, and it was a cheap spark plug.

So long live the 2.7! lol

Thank you all that replied to this thread!

I'll still bring it to the mechanic to adjust the belt tensioner, install the fuel filter and put a new lug nut stud on it.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #23
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
And here I was gettin' all sad that the 2.7 wasn't completely indestructible after all... Glad to hear all is well OP
Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
998cc is on a distinguished road
Name: Russ
998cc's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats! Glad I was wrong about the knock and glad your yota will see many more miles!
Russ