Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Battery Light on, Engine Turns off When Merging

Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
TheGibster is on a distinguished road
TheGibster's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Battery Light on, Engine Turns off When Merging

How's it going everybody I am a new guy from Nevada! I just bought a 2000 Tacoma Prerunner a little bit ago. So my Battery light indicator is on and the truck runs perfect with calm around town driving. However, I put my foot on it to merge when It shifted to second I had to step on the brakes and it died. It will turn right back over. I got off the freeway and it doesn't do it every single time just randomly. It doesnt sputter it just turns off. I have checked the battery cables, and I took a quick glance at the fuse box and I couldn't see anything blown.
Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGibster View Post
How's it going everybody I am a new guy from San Luis Obispo! I just bought a 2000 Tacoma Prerunner a little bit ago, it now has 90K miles on the dot. I am already having issues so hopefully someone knows what is going on.

So my Battery light indicator is on and the truck runs perfect with calm around town driving. However, I put my foot on it to merge when It shifted to second I had to step on the brakes and it died. It will turn right back over. I got off the freeway and it doesn't do it every single time just randomly. It doesnt sputter it just turns off. I have checked the battery cables, and I took a quick glance at the fuse box and I couldn't see anything blown. I also hooked an OBD-II up to it and it doesn't spit a code. It has to be a short I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.

Thanks
Fuel filter, had a subaru that was fine until you pushed hard on the gas. new filter fixed it.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
BVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to behold
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ This. I had a GMC Sierra and a Honda Civic that did the same thing. The Civic was just the fuel filter, the Sierra was the fuel pump!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCOTaco View Post
^^^ This. I had a GMC Sierra and a Honda Civic that did the same thing. The Civic was just the fuel filter, the Sierra was the fuel pump!
x2

My Integra did the same thing, fuel filter was bad and clogged up.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Sweet Ill check that and post if that fixed it or not. Does anyone know about that battery light? What would cause that?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sweet Ill check that and post if that fixed it or not. Does anyone know about that battery light? What would cause that?
Voltage is out of operating perimeter. Either the vehicle is off and the key is in the "run" position or the alternator is not functioning properly.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Voltage is out of operating perimeter. Either the vehicle is off and the key is in the "run" position or the alternator is not functioning properly.
Ok sweet Ill check that too.

Thanks for all the info everybody. Ill check all that stuff out and report my findings.