Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone tried glasspacks?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Marshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Marshallberger's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone tried glasspacks?

My 04 pre runner had a flowmaster 50 series muffler on it and a hanger broke and ended up tearing apart the pipe from the muffler on the input side. I was considering trying out a glasspack to see what it sounds like. Anyone have glasspacks or another type of muffler on their first gen they would reccomend?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
i had one on my '88 3.0 V6.......it sounded pretty good idiling, but then it sounded like a mad bumble bee on steroids when i got on it. I like flowmaster better
Old 05-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Guessing you have the 3.4? Anyways Most people will disagree with the option of glasspacks, however personally I like the the sound I had when I had a single on my 4.0l. Saturday Im true dualing it with two cherry bomb glasspacks cant wait! But If your just looking for a cheap exhaust that sounds pretty good in my ears then there fine.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Marshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarshallberger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Marshallberger's Tacoma Gallery
yea i'd rather not have it sound like a bubble bee in an empty pepsi can, like a little those little honda cars that have the big ass pipes stuck out the rear of em. thanks. i like the way my 50 series sounds but i hate having to re-weld the hangers every year so i was thinkin bout maybe turning the tips in front of the tires to avoid having to go over the axel but then again the fumes will probly eventually start to turn that nice red color to a turd brown color down the side. maybe some more hangers will sturdy it up.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
uncoordinated dirtbox
Brandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
Brandon9402's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshallberger View Post
yea i'd rather not have it sound like a bubble bee in an empty pepsi can, like a little those little honda cars that have the big ass pipes stuck out the rear of em. thanks. i like the way my 50 series sounds but i hate having to re-weld the hangers every year so i was thinkin bout maybe turning the tips in front of the tires to avoid having to go over the axel but then again the fumes will probly eventually start to turn that nice red color to a turd brown color down the side. maybe some more hangers will sturdy it up.
friend/ coworker has glass packs on his dodge dakota, but its a v8. and imo his sound like crap. to loud and obnoxious. and ive never seen anybody with color changing problems with side exit exhaust. thats mostly a diesel problem i believe.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I was about to post that m3bassman has a glass pack
Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
really? Your glass pack is quieter than a 14'' Magna?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
thesherv is one of the sharper tools in the shedthesherv is one of the sharper tools in the shedthesherv is one of the sharper tools in the shedthesherv is one of the sharper tools in the shedthesherv is one of the sharper tools in the shedthesherv is one of the sharper tools in the shedthesherv is one of the sharper tools in the shedthesherv is one of the sharper tools in the shedthesherv is one of the sharper tools in the shedthesherv is one of the sharper tools in the shedthesherv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Mike
thesherv's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a 98 Tacoma 2.7 and I just replaced the glass pack on it. I think it sounds pretty decent and was cheap. I don't think it sounds at all like a fart can honda civic.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
you get what you pay for. magnaflow, wicked flow, Aero Turbine, borla, dynomax etc etc all cost more because they are made of higher quality materials and are all stainless. Not saying that you will get better performance and/or gas mileage with any of these aformentioned brands, but they sure as hell will last longer and won't hurt your performance at all, as long as they use reasonable piping size (2.25-2.5") of course.

There's a reason you don't see the glass pack design used by any performance auto manuf...
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #11

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
easily. the 14" isnt chambered i believe. it was general consensus that it was louder this past week.

http://youtu.be/-CDDQK-O9QM
http://youtu.be/WxBcNB9YrJA
No magnaflows are chambered. Its a perforated core, fiberglass packed muffler, just like cherry bombs...just that the magnaflow mufflers have more area where the packing is.

How long is your cherry bomb?

Cherry bombs have less packing, so why would it be quieter...unless your glasspack is significantly longer, which will dampen sound more.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
oldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
oldracer's Tacoma Gallery
Glasspacks

I only have my opinion; and you can throw that away; but glasspacks are from another era.

Oh, they were kool, at one time; but honestly I think that is over.

I still like the sound of a big block V-8 or a dirt, late, model pushing 800hp; but on the street, these new vehicles don't seem to have enough heart, to make that sound.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
2011 TRD Sport 4x4
Junebug55210 will become famous soon enoughJunebug55210 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
Junebug55210's Tacoma Gallery
When I first bought my 1st gen 2.7 it had a glasspack on it and I hated it. I bought a autozone muffler and put it on and sounded a lot better imo, and the MPGs went up.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #15
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
youtube aero turbine. I've had flowmaster, wicked flow, kamikaze, and magnaflows (more than one type) and the aero 2525 far and away sounds the best. A V8 sound, no, but damn good for a V6
Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshallberger View Post
you can always do what we do with desert trucks out here...

cut the tailpipe off just before the axle so it doesn't get caught up in articulation, then do a turn down pipe so the exhaust shoots straight down to the ground...
Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, sounded like ass get a performance muffler you will be happier in the long run