Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

motor rebuilt

Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
TexasTacomadude is on a distinguished road
Name: josh
TexasTacomadude's Tacoma Gallery
motor rebuilt

ive got a 97 tacoma 3.4l v6 i just recently had the motor rebuilt... probably have 1000 miles on it now... how long should i wait before i install an aftermarket intake or anything else?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
As long as proper wear in proceedures have been followed on the engine I would think you'd be fine.

The only thing I'd be sure of first is that any strange running issues or engine related issues are diagnosed and fixed first before you consider modifications.

If you have any sensors going out, low compression, ignition issues, timing problems etc. etc. then these are only going to be magnified when you start adding modified parts to the engine.

Other than that it just comes down to researching potential modifications to see if you get any actual benefits and to ensure you have all the pieces so you can do the complete job needed to make the mod work.

Best of luck!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^ what he said. I don't see much point in an after market intake, can't see where it will make any difference in MPG or performance, same for mufflers, now a super charger thats a difference story, my0.02
Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
^^^^^ what he said. I don't see much point in an after market intake, can't see where it will make any difference in MPG or performance, same for mufflers, now a super charger thats a difference story, my0.02
Exactly right. An intake will just make a bunch of noise. Same for a muffler. You have two options for more power you can supercharge or turbo. Pretty much it besides an engine swap.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Depends, if you did it yourself I'd say go for it, but if shop rebuilt I wouldn't touch shit on it because if anything goes wrong during warranty you can bet your ass they'll shoot you down first time they see it or if any alterations have taken place .......... just my $.02
Old 05-31-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Just drive it! Save the $$$ buy beer!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
Do Intake and exhaust for looks/sound... cause that's all you'll notice.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
Just drive it! Save the $$$ buy beer!
That's a true alcoholic right there.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
How much was the rebuild?