Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

AC clutch bearing bad?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
rysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant future

Marines:
Name: Ryan
rysully's Tacoma Gallery
AC clutch bearing bad?

Hey everyone. I am new to this site and I just bought a 2004 tacoma a month ago. Two weeks ago my ac from what I think clutch bearing started making a whistling sound every time my as kicked in. When i turn my ac off the noise stops. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm pretty sure it's the bearing but I went to nappa today and the guy told me I would need a whole new compressor. What do you guys think? Thanks alot.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysully View Post
Hey everyone. I am new to this site and I just bought a 2004 tacoma a month ago. Two weeks ago my ac from what I think clutch bearing started making a whistling sound every time my as kicked in. When i turn my ac off the noise stops. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm pretty sure it's the bearing but I went to nappa today and the guy told me I would need a whole new compressor. What do you guys think? Thanks alot.
I don't know much, and I'm not assuming you're so far out of touch as this question:

but are you sure it's not just your blower motor chirping?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It could also be an idler pulley squeaking. There is more load on them when the AC kicks on. I don't really hear of AC compressors getting loud. Usually they just go out and that's it.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
rysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant future

Marines:
Name: Ryan
rysully's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think its the idler pulley, I had a couple friends look at it and they all think its coming from the ac to. I looked at the attached picture and think its something in there but not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
AC clutch bearing bad?-new-picture.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysully View Post
I dont think its the idler pulley, I had a couple friends look at it and they all think its coming from the ac to. I looked at the attached picture and think its something in there but not sure.

Mine started doing that last year. I sprayed a bunch (really quite a bit) of silicone spray at the back of the compressor pulley while the engine was running & it went away for a month or two, but it has returned. When the A/C clutch engages, it's as though the engine almost stops for a second & the truck slows momentarily. It also makes a squealing sound (not loud, but present) all the time when the A/C is engaged.

I'm thinking that it probably needs a new compressor clutch. In the meantime I'll keep spraying lube in there in hopes that it keeps working for a while.