LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

buying car from AZ bringing it to CA

Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
yotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
Name: ADRIEL
yotanation29's Tacoma Gallery
buying car from AZ bringing it to CA

i did make a thread a while ago about buying a tacoma and my concerns with it, now i have one more. will phoenix az emissions test pass in san diego ca?? ive been looking online at a couple sites but thats not helping. if anyone has experience with something like this please let me know
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Nope. You will have to smog it here and pay CA tax when you register it.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
yotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
Name: ADRIEL
yotanation29's Tacoma Gallery
how much is that going to cost me?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Your probably best to talk to your local dmv directly to find out what is required and what it will cost. May vary by exactly where you live.

You could always stop by a local smog station too. They will not be able to give you the dmv fees, but will let you know how it works for smogging a non CA emissions car/truck.

Cheers
Old 05-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
I had to pay an additional fee (several hundred dollars) when I brought a car in from out of state for some lame smog law specifically because it was not a California vehicle, even though it passed California standards.

But that was a long time ago and I'm not sure if the law changed.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
from what i understand, you would need to transfer ownership at CA DMV and pay the necessary reg fees up front, then they give you a temporary moving permit until the truck can be smogged...

what sucks about CA smog is how strict this state is, and the freaking smog check stations are linked to DMV so if it fails, they know it...

from the DMV...

The following is required to register a vehicle from out–of–state (nonresident):

• An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) (PDF) signed by all registered owners as they appear on the out-of-state registration and/or title. Enter the name(s) and address of the registered owner(s) and lienholder (legal owner), if any, and complete the questions on the application.
  • Last issued out-of-state title. (Not required if there is no change of registered owner and a California title is not requested.) If the out-of-state title is not surrendered the California registration card issued will say nontransferable and a California title will not be issued.
  • Last issued registration certificate or renewal notice for the current year or a letter from the last registration jurisdiction verifying the registration period.
  • The vehicle must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or a licensed vehicle verifier. These inspections are most easily obtained by bringing the vehicle to the nearest DMV. There is no charge for the inspection. For faster service, make an Appointment(s) .
  • Smog certification, if applicable
  • Weight certificate, if applicable
  • Appropriate fees and any use tax due
  • Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (REG 4008) (PDF) form for commercial motor vehicles (pickups with unladen weight of 8,000 lbs. or less are exempt from this requirement)
  • Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Application Certification (REG 4017) (PDF).
Change of ownership

The following is required for a change of ownership:

• Last issued out-of-state title signed by the seller(s) and the lienholder, if any. If you do not have the title, a duplicate must be requested.
  • Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), if the person from whom you are buying the vehicle is not the registered owner.
  • Odometer disclosure on the title or REG 262 signed by the seller and buyer, if the vehicle is less than 10 model years old.
  • If the only change is the removal of a lienholder, a release of interest on the appropriate line of the title or a notarized Lien Satisfied/Title Holder Release (REG 166) (PDF) from the lienholder is required. Out–of–state DMV addresses are available, at www.dmv.ca.gov or by calling 1-800-777-0133.
Fees that may be due

The amount of fees that may be due depends on a variety of factors. An exact amount can only be calculated when you submit your application to the department. For an estimate, you may use the online Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator.The type of fees that may be collected are:
  • Registration Fee: Collected on the majority of on-highway vehicles to offset DMV costs.
  • Reflectorized License Plate Fee: Collected to cover license plate issuance.
  • California Highway Patrol (CHP) Fee: Collected to offset CHP costs.
  • County Fees: Vary by county. Collected at the request of your California county of residence for special programs.
  • Vehicle License Fee (VLF): Based on the value of your vehicle as determined by the Certificate of Cost or Bill of Sale. (Disabled Veterans and Nonresident military personnel stationed in California may apply for a military exemption from the VLF on vehicles they register in California.)
  • Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Original Fee: All trailers, except trailer coaches and park trailers, are under the PTI program. PTI trailers are not subject to registration, CHP, county, and vehicle license fees. PTI trailers pay an original fee and then a service fee every five years for renewal.
  • Weight Fee: Assessed on pickups with an unladen weight of 8,000 lbs. or less, and commercial motor vehicles with gross operating weight under 10,001 lbs. This fee is based on the empty or unladen weight.
  • Commercial Vehicle Registration Act (CVRA) Fee: Assessed on commercial motor vehicles with an operating weight of 10,001 lbs. or more (and including pickups with an unladen weight of 8,001 lbs. or more). This fee is based on the motor vehicle gross vehicle weight (GVW) or combined gross vehicle weight (CGVW). Tow trucks used to assist the motoring public to tow or carry impounded vehicles are subject to CVRA fees. The tow truck’s declared weight is based on its gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), not a combined gross vehicle weight.
  • Cargo Theft Interdiction Program (CTIP) Fee: Commercial motor vehicles operating at 10,001 lbs. or more are assessed a CTIP fee. This fee is not due for pickups, tow trucks, or vehicles for hire used solely to transport people. It is used by the CHP to recover stolen cargo and promote security for commercially registered vehicles.
  • Use Tax: Collected at the same rate as your California city of residence sales tax. Legislation requires payment of use tax on a vehicle purchased outside California and brought into California within 365 days of the purchase date.
  • Nonresident Service Fee: Collected on vehicles and vessels other than PTI trailers and Special Equipment.
  • Penalties: Assessed when fees for a nonresident vehicle are not paid within 20 days of the date they became due. PTI trailers are only assessed late use tax penalties.
NOTE:For registration fees, see the brochure, Registration Related Fees (FFVR 34). Because fees are subject to change, visit our website at www.dmv.ca.gov for the most current information or call DMV at 1-800-777-0133.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
If you have any aftermarket parts, take them off. Even if they are TRD parts and smog legal, the DMV in cali is a huge joke and they nit pick about everything! Good luck, cali DMV is the devil.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
If you have any aftermarket parts, take them off. Even if they are TRD parts and smog legal, the DMV in cali is a huge joke and they nit pick about everything! Good luck, cali DMV is the devil.
word, especially if they make you go through a CHP visual inspection... that's the worst...

and if the truck has had a motor swap, make sure to have the paperwork and the numbers ain't scratched off... haha... i met someone who got screwed that way on a rice rocket with motor swap back in the 1990s...
Old 05-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
asus611 is on a distinguished road
asus611's Tacoma Gallery
I brought my truck in from Nevada way back in 2005. I bought this from my friend, and I had to:

1) Get/pass smog check. My truck is a "California" car (emissions equipment/standards) so no problems there.
2) Pay SALES TAX on the purchase price of the truck
3) Pay Registration/title fees etc
4) They mailed me new pink slip in a couple weeks. I think it made it easier because my buddy owned the truck outright, and I paid him cash outright so I had the pink slip already in hand he signed over to me.

It was not cheap, especially with the sales tax on the purchase price. I know you have 10 days to register the car with the state of California, so I would try to line up everything and bang it out as quickly
Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, if it were me. I'd sell the truck here and buy a new one in Cali. My buddy's accord motor blew up, found him a great deal here but it wasn't the same make/model. He had all the paper work, motor has all the tags, they STILL never passed him. Some bullshit that the stock intake on this motor wasn't right yadda yadda yadda. He paid the guy 250$ cash to get passed, then sold the car.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
hopefully you're not scared off by what you're reading, but everything should be straight forward. i've purchased an Alaska car a few years back and there was nothing special that I had to do besides smogging it and paying the DMV fees like you would with any other car/truck you would buy. Just bring the bill of sales and smog papers with to the DMV.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
BTW I remember now that the out of state smog fee that I paid was ruled unconstitutional and I'm pretty sure I got a refund.

V C Section 1673.7 Smog Impact Fee Refund Notice

1673.7. (a) The department shall include the following notice with each check issued as a refund of the smog impact fee:
"The enclosed check is a refund of the $300 Smog Impact Fee you paid to the Department of Motor Vehicles when you initially registered an out-of-state vehicle in California. In the case of Jordan v. Department of Motor Vehicles (1999) 75 Cal.App.4th 449, the court ruled the smog impact fee unconstitutional. The enclosed check includes an interest payment which has been calculated from the date the fee was paid to the date the refund is issued.
"If you have any questions about the enclosed refund, please contact your local office of the Department of Motor Vehicles."
(b) No notice other than the one required under subdivision (a) may be included with a smog impact fee refund check.

Added Sec. 8, Ch. 31, Stats. 2000. Effective June 8, 2000.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d02/vc1673_7.htm
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
LT Chase Truck

ya know, OP, is this going to be for the Tacoma with the V8 motor swap?

if it is, be sure to update this thread with how the process goes...

im sure it would be useful information for others who might come across the same type of deal...

Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
I got a question for ya guys... didnt wnat to start a new topic.. but what is the point of surrendering my plates to the CALI DMV? I would like to keep my plates and put them in storage. Think of it this way.. If i were dumb enough to run my out of state plates rather than the CA issued plates.. more money going back to the city if I get pulled over for running my out of state plates with a california registration... DMV experts please chime in!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
fyi...

it's law that the AZ plates be removed and turned in
by current registered owner, to the AZ. DMV, when a vehicle has sold.
failure to do so... may come with penalty/liabilities (idk)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #16
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
Its funny when I asked the CA DMV why my friends could keep their out of state plates, and the lady said the DMV made a mistake? two mistakes? Lmao... am i not hearing from the right people!?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #17
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ditto.

They aren't going to bust in your door for keeping one (or both) of your plates, but if you get caught running the OOS plates on a Cali-registered vehicle, you are not going to be having a good Thanksgiving weekend.

There MAY be exceptions for European tags and similar, but the CA tags must be displayed.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #18
DMV over here... SMH... "you will surrender your plates and they will be DESTROYED!" okay.. take it easy.. sheesh lmao
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
There is no real point to a lot of things DM does.. you have to surrender your plates when you green sticker a vehicle as well.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #20
CIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the rough
CIAGDDS's Tacoma Gallery
Ca DMV has a fee calculator on their website for these kinds of things. When I bought my truck the fee calculator was right up to the penny. I also had a Hawaii title on it.