LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

painting rims question (dry time)

Old 05-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
zaoc is on a distinguished road
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
painting rims question (dry time)

I did a little searching but didn't find a suggested time to let my rims dry before putting them back on the truck after painting. so I was hoping someone could give me a quick answer and I could get started tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
I'd wait at least 6 hours
x2
Old 05-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Check my sig for a good write up. I'd wait at least 6 hours
You can just paint right over the wheel weights, right?

I don't want black wheels with oxidized gray weights.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Lets see pic's when you are done.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I hit the wet paint with a heat gun to help get rid of paint runs and overspray. They're dry to the touch in a couple hours and can be handled a few hours after that. 6 hours is a good starting point but I'd let them sit overnight if you can (keep in mind that temp and humidity play a huge role in drying time). Also, don't try the heat gun trick unless you're comfortable... they are meant to be used as paint removers so you have to be careful not to let the fresh paint get too hot or it'll peel and you'll be starting over.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys. i think I'll wait til next week cus i work nights on weekends and need my truck to get there. guess I'll just find another mod for today.

EDIT: scratch that. just realized it's only Wednesday. lets get to work.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
fshams is on a distinguished road

fshams's Tacoma Gallery
What color are you painting your wheels? Are you taking off all the weights first?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Canadian Bacon
spares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spares's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaoc View Post
thanks guys. i think I'll wait til next week cus i work nights on weekends and need my truck to get there. guess I'll just find another mod for today.

EDIT: scratch that. just realized it's only Wednesday. lets get to work.

Do one at a time and rotate your spare around, this way you can still get to work
Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
after seeing my bar tab from last night I'll be waiting until next week, after rent and bills are paid. can't wait to get started though. and I'm going with black.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
after seeing my bar tab from last night I'll be waiting until next week, after rent and bills are paid. can't wait to get started though. and I'm going with black.
flat, matte, satin, gloss...?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
probably gloss. I won't be doing too much off roading, so a nice clean look is ideal
Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
^^ I no longer have a PreRunner
99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
99PreRunner.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha sig'd... happens to the best of us
Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #16

Quote:
probably gloss. I won't be doing too much off roading, so a nice clean look is ideal
Just an FYI (and personal preference): You're going to have to keep your tires super clean and glossy as well or else your rims will look gloss black while your tires look faded gray/brown.

I never liked that look.

Obviously JMO
Old 05-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
i agree thats not a good look. but i armorall my tires every few days for that glossy look
Old 05-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #18

Quote:
i agree thats not a good look. but i armorall my tires every few days for that glossy look
Then it'll be sweet looking.

Post some pics when it's all done
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
will do. I'll probably start on it sunday or monday
Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #20

I totally want to paint my rims but really have no logistical way of doing so.

I'm a single dad with 100% custody and only one vehicle.

To do it right I'd have to put my truck up on stands, overnight , and borrow a friend's car.