Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

SATOSHI MOD --- 1st gen. write-up (lots of pics)

Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
SATOSHI MOD --- 1st gen. write-up (lots of pics)

Alright so here is my Satoshi Mod!

first off id like to give a special thanks to HOMERTACO for supplying the M1 mesh grill and making it look that much more badass.

also all the other write-ups that inspired me with this mod

I wanted to make a good write-up for all the 01-04 tacos since i could NOT find a solid write-up for it

so here it goes...

Satoshi Mod Links:

HomerTaco Satoshi and Mesh Grills: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/homertaco/

Original Satoshi: http://satoshigrill.blogspot.com/200...grill-mod.html

01-04 Satoshi: http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61042-

98-00 Satoshi: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...gen-style.html

Best Write-up I found and followed: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-write-up.html

Tips:

Before you get started i have a few things that you might want to keep in mind while doing this mod:

-BE PATIENT.

-When applying the fiberglass, make sure to try and get the fiber glass as close to the surface where you want it to be covering. this means you need LESS bondo

-LESS bondo the better

-let bondo dry!

-fiberglass is really sticky. use gloves. i used my bare hands and it burns... and you have to scrub your hands ALOT to get it off

-sand everything before you paint it.

-go slow and take your time. i did mind in 4 days. took breaks and let things dry when needed.

-you can do this mod but be aware there is a lot of time invested with waiting on things to dry like fiberglass, bondo, paint, waiting for mesh material coming in the mail.... (i know that doesnt dry)

-you dont have to follow every step i made. you can do your own thing. take what you like from other write-ups or ideas and make your own process.

-SAND AFTER THE FILLER PRIMER. it will be bumpy and ugly. so sand a little bit after you do a few coats of filler primer to cover the bondo.

-01Tacoma- to anyone looking to do this it's a very easy project to just dive into as log a you take your time and pay attention to detail... And for the recor idiot 7" lights behind mine if anyone was wondering about what size will fit

-im sure there will be more in the future... dont hesitate to ask me

NOW...

Step 1: Remove the Grill

Supplies:

philips screw driver = to screw off the two screws on the corners of the grill

long screw driver = to disengage all the plastic anchor points

here's a good link with the steps to remove the grill

http://ebayba.uniqueautodepot.net/20...toy-1945-s.pdf

the clips are shown in the figure below

Remove the grill from the truck

Step 2: Cut out the center piece

Supplies:

electric power jigsaw = to cut out the inside plastic

dremel = to cut off excess plastic

sandpaper = to sand down and make the inside portion smooth

goggles = to protect them eyes!

breathing mask = the dremel heats up the plastic and gives off fumes

Alright... NOW to begin!!!

begin with the jigsaw and cut away at the center piece

use the dremel to cut and smooth down the remaining plastic

Now to cut out the small triangles inserts

(this part is optional to your choosing.)

cut away at the tabs that secure it

The use a smaller tip to get in there and cut the triangle off of the grill

Now use the sandpaper to smooth out the inside

start with a low grit and work your way up to a higher grit.

I used 60 - 100 - 220

60 Grit

100 Grit

220 grit

Step 3: Fiberglass Application

Supplies:

Bondo fiberglass repair kit = comes with all the tools needed with instuctions

painters tape = to make a guide for the fiberglass application

dremel with cutting edge OR sissors = to cut away the excess fiberglass when it dries

paper towels and good soap = this stuff is messy!!!

i taped off the grill to keep the resin off the grill

this is the area that the fiberglass is going to be applied

apply the painters tape on the area that is going to have the fiberglass

Follow the instructions given and mix up the fiberglass resin

Cover the cloth fiberglass in the resin and Now apply the Fiberglass

let the fiberglass sit for about 5 minutes and then remove the painters tape

Let the fiberglass dry for 90 minutes!

cut away the extra fiberglass

Step 4: Bondo Application

Supplies:

Tube of Bondo = for filling in the areas that are backed with fiberglass

sand paper = for smoothing out the bondo when dry

flat edge = to smooth out the bondo

a big fan = if you're as impatient as i am

apply the bondo

to say the least, i didnt use the bondo sparingly! i used a lot but i wanted my inside edges really smooth

sand it down

If it shows signs of cracking you might want to reset that area and apply thinner layers of bondo.

(i had to do this on one area)

One more layer of bondo

ALMOST DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Step 5: Spray Paint Application

Supplies:

Sand paper = more sanding! i sanded the entire grill to paint it all black (i used 220 grit for this)

Filler Primer = spray your first coat on the inner rim on the grill with filler FIRST

Spray Automotive Primer = spray the inner rim with normal primer too (and entire grill if you wish to do so)

Desired color of spray paint = well... you do want to spray paint it so... pick a color

painters tape = to tape off sections that are not being painted

Sand down everything you want spray painted with a high grit paper

which for me, was everything

more sanding...

I hung the grill up in my backyard on a trellis that is black, so it was perfect

first you'll want to apply the Filler Primer to the inner rim where you have bondo. I did the entire inner rim with two coats of filler primer

after the filler primer apply the primer!

After the primer was all dry i removed the painters tape and put on the 2 coat of primer to entire grill

then applied 3 coats of semi-gloss rustoleum to the entire grill

Letting it sit for the night in my basement and will mount it up tomorrow

Sprayed the Radiator and all the other junk that will be visible behind the grill with High Heat Resistant Spray Paint

I also removed one of the horns that is right in front of the radiator. it will look ugly if i left it there. I may relocated it... eventually...

OH BOY MY HOMERTACO MESH ARRIVED

SO. start by measuring out where you need to cut the mesh down to fit using cardboard to make a template

Now using the template, trace (sharpie) where you need to cut. I cut a 1/4 inch away from the line i drew

JUST IN CASE

Make marks on the card board where the towers are that extend out and connect the grill to the truck.

you can utilize these towers as a area to anchor down the mesh grill with screws

CUT and leave yourself some extra mesh so you have some room for fitting

I shaved the plastic off the bottom of both outside towers so the mesh would lay and fit easier

then molded the mesh to fit around the towers so i can screw them in and secure the grill at the bottom

NOW prime and paint it

I used this...

I wanted the TRD symbol in the middle so i made a stencil with cardboard!

And then spray the color of your choosing

Sorry i dont have a picture of the mesh by itself. my phone battery began to die on me.

Before you move on the next step (this is optional) finish the triangle cut outs and measure up the mesh for the triangles

Start by cutting out the middle of the triangle plastic

then finish off the job with a dremel and smooth out the edged

measure up the mesh to the triangle so you can install it later

Glue the plastic inserts back onto the grill. I used gorilla glue.

Then Paint the Triangle mesh so they can be installed

Then spray paint the triangle plastic inserts to match the grill

CONTINUED........ NEXT POST

Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Step 6:MESH Application

Supplies:

Drill = to make holes in the grill to install zip ties and also make holes for the three screws to secure the mesh

Screwdriver = To screw in the screws that secure the grill at the bottom

3 small plastic screws = to secure the grill at the tower points at the bottom

Zip Ties = secure the mesh in various areas

Once your mesh is dry, prepare the grill to install the mesh. drill holes in the plastic where you will zip-tie as follows

Screw the Grill into place at the three areas shown

you can make holes for zip ties where ever you see fit! i added a lot of holes. I wanted my grill to be VERY SNUG

ALMOST DONE! hang in there. almost time for a ice cold beer

Now to get the triangle mesh to cover these holes (remember the triangles are a optional step)

Drill around the triangle area small holes to anchor it down with zip ties.

I drilled 4 holes in areas i saw fit.

thread the zipties through the mesh then through the hole. do not tighten the ziptie until you have all the others threaded as well

tighten the zip ties alternately so one does not take all the pressure. distribute the pressure evenly.

cut the excess and there you have it!

DONE!!!

put your satoshi grill on your truck!

DO NOT HESITATE to PM or Post questions

glad to help out.

enjoy!

Video of the finished product

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aLkZBSBki4

Old 05-31-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Have a nice day
htuong95 is on a distinguished road

htuong95's Tacoma Gallery
looking good.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #4

thanks man
Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait for the full write up! Love the look, and am going to do this with lights behind. It'll take me a while to do and I've got to color match, so I'm gonna buy a replacement grille to Satoshi so I don't have to drive around to a few weeks sans face.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 05-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #9

bondo drying

Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
This is going to be the Grand Poobah of Satoshi walk throughs.

And I'm about to dumb it down with this question:

I've read several walk throughs for all the grille conversions and understand that fiberglass/bondo is an integral part of the process.

My question simply is why? Why do you fiberglass and/or bondo the inner lip of the grille? Can't you just smooth it all down and then insert the mesh flush?

Don't worry... I can take it like a man, so come at me Bros

Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #11

well on the BOTTOM lip you don't need to use and bondo/fiberglass. just alot of sanding.

but on the UPPER lip, fiberglass and bondo is required because there are areas that are left open and will leave gaps when the mesh is laid on the backdrop.

i used bondo on all four sides, all cornerns, and little nicks and scratches because im a perfectionist when it come to projects like this
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomarotto View Post
well on the BOTTOM lip you don't need to use and bondo/fiberglass. just alot of sanding.

but on the UPPER lip, fiberglass and bondo is required because there are areas that are left open and will leave gaps when the mesh is laid on the backdrop.

i used bondo on all four sides, all cornerns, and little nicks and scratches because im a perfectionist when it come to projects like this
Good to know. And yeah do it right is my motto too.

I've never worked with fiberglass or bondo before... is it hard?

In jr97's write up for a 95-97 (which is what I would be doing eventually) he said it was his first time using either and his project came out looking amazing.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #14

i thought you waited tables?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Good to know. And yeah do it right is my motto too.

I've never worked with fiberglass or bondo before... is it hard?

In jr97's write up for a 95-97 (which is what I would be doing eventually) he said it was his first time using either and his project came out looking amazing.
yea its my first time too and im taking it really slow

no pun intended...
Old 05-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaforlife View Post
lol couple years ago now i do paint and body on business jets in augusta, GA
oh sweet. i didnt know that. as i remember, was it your dads restaurant?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
uncoordinated dirtbox
Brandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
Brandon9402's Tacoma Gallery
SUBBED! if its not hard im gunna do my own one day
Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaforlife View Post
no it was a friends restaurant.

gotcha