LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Possible Ignition Switch Issue?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
SmokeyDP is on a distinguished road
SmokeyDP's Tacoma Gallery
Possible Ignition Switch Issue?

Had my new Sony head unit in my 97 Tacoma for a year without issues. When I put it in the 2003 (moved over the whole harness) I started to have a power issue. When I turn the ignition on, the radio comes back on to where it left off. As soon as I turn the key to start the truck the radio looks like it goes on and off, then I have to hit the power button to turn it on once the truck starts. This happens most of the time, but sometimes, the radio remains on like its supposed to.

I recently just bought another Sony radio and its doing the same exact thing.

I know that the 12V and 12V switched are hooked up correctly and working. When I turn off the truck the radio turns off, and beeps 3 times as it is supposed to to remind you to remove the face. The time is always correct too and the presets are fine.

I'm thinking when I'm staring the truck its loosing the 12V constant on, but not long enough to loose any presets or anything. Only enough to shut the radio to off.

Is it possible to replace the ignition switch without having to get it re-keyed?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
No comments on replacing the ignition switch without replacing the key tumbler?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
I think the electrical part of the ignition switch is separate from the lock cylinder.

You should test the switch with a voltmeter before replacing it. It could be sprayed out with contact cleaner if its dirty inside.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Ive seen the DIY's to remove the lock cylinder. Is the switch on the back of it?

Anyone got a part number for just the switch?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure the electrical switch simply unscrews from under the steering column cover. The lock cylinder is really just locking the steering so you can't drive it. Easy enough to do the thing you see in the movies and cut and splice wires to start it.

I don't have part numbers, but when I worked autoparts we always had the switch listed seperately. Not sure if a Tacoma would be dealer only on that part or not.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
I think the switch is right on the back of the lock cylinder.