Notices

What saves more gas?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
New vehicle/Tacoma *****
theGastone is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
theGastone's Tacoma Gallery
What saves more gas?

What do you think saves more gas. Driving with a window down and not using AC or using the AC on low?

I like driving with the window down and 21 miles to the gallon is pretty awesome but I'm wondering if there is something I can do to squeeze a bit more out of it. Also cooling myself is a big issue since it's hot as Satan's backside here in Florida...
Old 05-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Around town, windows down will most likely be best. At highway speed, windows up and A/C on will likely produce better MPG.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Around town, windows down will most likely be best. At highway speed, windows up and A/C on will likely produce better MPG.
Agreed. I think I noticed minor improvements in mpg's with windows up/ac on the highway.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Resident Redneck
WhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WhiskeyDeltaTango's Tacoma Gallery
Mythbusters say greater than 35mph A/C is more efficient than windows down.

and i think having the fan on low vs high probably has less effect vs compressor on and off.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
2011supercoma is on a distinguished road
Name: capt. schyler
2011supercoma's Tacoma Gallery
get a bicycle, thatll save a shit load of gas.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011supercoma View Post
get a bicycle, thatll save a shit load of gas.
Haha. I thought about getting a yamaha scooter for my commute to work. I hear they get 80 mpg. I commute 50 miles each way, but I would get killed in traffic.

I would stand a little more chance in a smart car. Ever see how small those are?Its so tiny I could keep it in the bed of the tacoma and deploy it whenever I needed it. I think my bicycle would take up more space in the bed.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Haha. I thought about getting a yamaha scooter for my commute to work. I hear they get 80 mpg. I commute 50 miles each way, but I would get killed in traffic.

I would stand a little more chance in a smart car. Ever see how small those are?Its so tiny I could keep it in the bed of the tacoma and deploy it whenever I needed it. I think my bicycle would take up more space in the bed.
Have you thought about a small dual sport dirt bike? More power than a scooter but would still get 60+ MPG and they're a lot of fun.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I am getting 22.5 to 22.8 mpg right now.

Around town I have the windows down, because I like fresh air.

On highway or rural roads where I'm going 50+ mph I have the windows up because I don't like the wind noise.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Being light on the skinny pedal saves the most gas of all... I think that the AC/windows thing yields negligible results at best
Old 05-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Being light on the skinny pedal saves the most gas of all... I think that the AC/windows thing yields negligible results at best
^ True

In my experience, using cruise control as much as possible has shown the most gains.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
mizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mac
mizzac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
^ True

In my experience, using cruise control as much as possible has shown the most gains.
Id argue that. I used cruise and watchin my scanguage it was giving me like 16, if i drove it myself i could get 18.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzac View Post
Id argue that. I used cruise and watchin my scanguage it was giving me like 16, if i drove it myself i could get 18.
I guess it's different for different feet?

I've been keeping track of my economy on fuelly for almost 15,000 miles.

I started using cruise control excessively about halfway through (made a note as a demarcation)

Winter gas withstanding, I went from 19.8 avg to 22.5 avg after making the commitment to cruise control.

That's my experience.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
Bodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud of

Bodz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Yep, i totally agree. Keeping a light foot on the gas pedal, combined with easing off completely when rolling up on a stop sign or hill, can help a lot.

That being said, i love the acceleration LOL
Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
mizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mizzac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess it's different for different feet?

I've been keeping track of my economy on fuelly for almost 15,000 miles.

I started using cruise control excessively about halfway through (made a note as a demarcation)

Winter gas withstanding, I went from 19.8 avg to 22.5 avg after making the commitment to cruise control.

That's my experience.
My scanguage could be off as well. Ive noticed there is a sweet spot on the pedal, for some reason if i just barely stay on it i get way better mileage, even tho it keeps me at 70 compared to being on it just a little more and still staying at 70.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #15

Quote:
My scanguage could be off as well. Ive noticed there is a sweet spot on the pedal, for some reason if i just barely stay on it i get way better mileage, even tho it keeps me at 70 compared to being on it just a little more and still staying at 70.
^ that play in the pedal is what cruise control eliminates for me.

Especially on slight inclines (which most of my driving consists of)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #16

mizzac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^ that play in the pedal is what cruise control eliminates for me.

Especially on slight inclines (which most of my driving consists of)
Mine on cruise likes to kick it up more it seems.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If cruise can do better than you then you need to practice. I always do better than cruise can.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Scangauge/Ultragauge

For those interested in improving Fuel Economy (FE), visit CleanMPG.com for tips on improving your MPGs. The advice given here is mostly right. Windows down when driving around town saves fuel. AC on when at 50 mph and above saves fuel. Cruise Control will save fuel, but not as much as keeping a level foot. As noted above, feathering the gas pedal will improve your FE.

That said, on long hauls, the CC is the way to go to keep your leg from cramping. And unless you keep an extra shirt in the cab, running without AC is a tough task to do in the deep South. And having a Scangauge/Ultraguage to give you realtime feedback will help you learn where you are optimal spots are for the best FE.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Mine on cruise likes to kick it up more it seems.
Do you have a 5 speed or auto?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
If cruise can do better than you then you need to practice. I always do better than cruise can.
lol

Been driving plenty, thank you.