Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Camper top lock

Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
BrotherBudro is on a distinguished road
Name: David
BrotherBudro's Tacoma Gallery
Camper top lock

Hey guys, I bought a camper top last week (it's a leer) but there are 2 big problems with it

1. It's white. They paint them at the actual Leer dealers right? So I can bring it in tell them what color I want and they can do it. If they don't i guess i can always go to an auto body place, i know they can do it.

2. the lock is broken. The guy never had the key. but the bigger problem is that one of the bars that actually goes inside the camper to hold the back door down to the actual camper is missing. Would my local Leer dealer be able to fix that? or is that something I need to do? I have noticed that I can buy the actual handle and lock (with keys online) which I need. but i also need the bars that lock it down

thanks for your help
Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Just found this

http://www.socaltruck.net/replacement_parts

are the "dead bolt lock bars" a standard size? should I be worried about that?

thanks again
Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Hey,

Perhaps some dealers do but I have bought 4 caps in the last 20 years and have never seen a shop that painted them in house. As for the bar and parts yes they would have to order it most likely if you look inside somewhere is a plate with model and serial number you can find the parts you need on line cheaper most likely. Be prepared for the paint job price to be 300 to 400 it should be a scuff and shoot. However, they have to put additives in the paint to make it flex with the shell so sometimes it gets a bit pricey your local depending.

Cypher
Old 05-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
^ good to know on the paint. I was figuring around 300+ but that really surprises me that they don't paint them in house. will be looking for body shops tomorrow...
Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
just found out it's a Leer Macho
there is a number on the inside that reads 815688