1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper top lock

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BrotherBudro, May 31, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    BrotherBudro

BrotherBudro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Access Cab, V6 4X4
    Leer 100XR, Dual Battery, Dog Platform, Sleeping Platform, Ham, CB, Light Bar, Rear Lights,
    Hey guys, I bought a camper top last week (it's a leer) but there are 2 big problems with it

1. It's white. They paint them at the actual Leer dealers right? So I can bring it in tell them what color I want and they can do it. If they don't i guess i can always go to an auto body place, i know they can do it.

2. the lock is broken. The guy never had the key. but the bigger problem is that one of the bars that actually goes inside the camper to hold the back door down to the actual camper is missing. Would my local Leer dealer be able to fix that? or is that something I need to do? I have noticed that I can buy the actual handle and lock (with keys online) which I need. but i also need the bars that lock it down

thanks for your help

2. May 31, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    BrotherBudro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    Leer 100XR, Dual Battery, Dog Platform, Sleeping Platform, Ham, CB, Light Bar, Rear Lights,
  3. May 31, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Hey,

Perhaps some dealers do but I have bought 4 caps in the last 20 years and have never seen a shop that painted them in house. As for the bar and parts yes they would have to order it most likely if you look inside somewhere is a plate with model and serial number you can find the parts you need on line cheaper most likely. Be prepared for the paint job price to be 300 to 400 it should be a scuff and shoot. However, they have to put additives in the paint to make it flex with the shell so sometimes it gets a bit pricey your local depending.

Cypher

4. May 31, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    BrotherBudro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    ^ good to know on the paint. I was figuring around 300+ but that really surprises me that they don't paint them in house. will be looking for body shops tomorrow...

5. May 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    BrotherBudro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    just found out it's a Leer Macho
    there is a number on the inside that reads 815688

Products Discussed in

To Top