Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Custom Gauges

Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
zaoc is on a distinguished road
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
Custom Gauges

does anyone have experience with custom gauges? I don't like the amber glow so I'm replacing all the lights with something more pleasing. I was just looking around and saw this one to use as an example. Anyone ever installed one like this? (top is daytime, bottom is when the lights come on at night)
Old 05-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...auge-swap.html

This guy does great work. I had Syntonization do mine for me, but if you're handy with a soldering gun you shouldn't have any problems on your own. No need to mess with the backing vinyl.

Here's how mine turned out.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
oh yeah i was just looking at that thread. but i'm all the way over here in texas ha.. did he decide to do the long distance shipping? I didn't feel like going through 50 pages to find the answer ha
Old 05-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Hahaha no I don't believe so. Don't know for sure though. Do what I did, find someone who majored in electronics and have them do it for you. You bring the drinks and food. Do not supply a touch lamp as your sole light source. Trust me. Hahaha. Most electronic repair shops can do it for you too.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
I posted a how to on here about how to do the radio colors to match,and I believe that I linked a how-to for the gauges...here's the link for the gauge swap..

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ght=cluster%5D

and I got the list of the LEDs needed from here..BUY EXTRAS !!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...uge-swaps.html

I did my own and they came out really nice ! If you can solder and take your time with it I highly suggest it !

Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
hmm well maybe its a good time to learn to solder
Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Is soldering required for a '98?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
i'm seeing that first gens are just bulbs we could replace with LEDs. simple swap. but I havent seen inside the cluster yet
Old 05-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
That faceplate looks obnoxious. Just do white or blue lights.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
yeah that was just an example. I'd probably go with blue lights. still have some more to learn before i start ripping the cluster out though
Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
My '06 Legacy GT had the nicest gauge cluster lighting I've ever seen.

I'll try to find a pic
Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
To replace the ugly orange thats factory is real easy in 01-04 and just a hare harder in the earlier models because of the speedo cable. takes all of about 20 minutes from start to finish in my truck(01). Pretty sure all you need is a #2 phillips, 1/4" ratchet and 12mm iirc and thats it. the cluster is all electronic in the 01-04 models so its simple
Old 06-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
are they just bulbs instead of leds ?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Its a 194 bulb with LEDs but its just plug and play.
Got mine from superbrightleds.com
Been through white, red and finally settled on blue in the dash and for my AC lights.
You can see the dash lights in blue in the upper portion of my build.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i just looked. the blue looks great. appreciate the help man I'll probably order the leds next week and get to work
Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tac0ma View Post
Its a 194 bulb with LEDs but its just plug and play.
Got mine from superbrightleds.com
Been through white, red and finally settled on blue in the dash and for my AC lights.
You can see the dash lights in blue in the upper portion of my build.
This^^ 1st gens are 194 bulbs that is al plug and play.

2nd gens require a bit more work and yes I do ship now thanks for the rep guys!!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaoc View Post
yeah i just looked. the blue looks great. appreciate the help man I'll probably order the leds next week and get to work
you wont regret it!
If you opt to do the ac bulbs just take your sweet baby jesus time cause there is one in there that can be a PITA to get the new longer LED bulb into place but ive done it twice... One with good results and one requiring some soldering the computer chip back together
Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
how many leds are behind the gauges and AC ?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaoc View Post
how many leds are behind the gauges and AC ?
4 behind the gauges, 3 behind the ac
Old 06-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
zaoc's Tacoma Gallery
thanks man. cant wait to get started