Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fender flares: remove keep or aftermarket?

Old 06-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
CollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the rough
Name: Taylor
CollegeTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Fender flares: remove keep or aftermarket?

I have a 1999 gold tacoma 4x4 access cab and one of the stock fender flares (passenger rear) has a chunk taken out of it. It is noticeable but the fender flare is still attached to the vehicle.
I have searched for a stock one (just the one and the set) used but have yet to find any. What do you all recommend?

leaving them alone? searching till I find the one replacement? taking them off? or an aftermarket option?
Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
CollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the rough
[QUOTE=TACOMABOSS;5175441]Are they the fiberglass ones?[/QUOTE

They are the stock ones like these except the thin 99 ones.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=tacom...&tx=118&ty=100
Old 06-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Check your local salvage yard to see if they have Tacomas to scrap
Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
I was thinking of doing that tomorrow haha
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
Check your local salvage yard to see if they have Tacomas to scrap
^ THIS, I'm doing the same tomorrow to find a 01-04 grille to Satoshi
Old 06-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmarshall1 View Post
^ THIS, I'm doing the same tomorrow to find a 01-04 grille to Satoshi
Let me know if you see any flares grilles valances or corners haha.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
If yours is a 99 and stock 4x4 then they are fiberglass.

IMO the only trucks that looks good without the flares is if they're lifted with bigger tires. Otherwise, if you take them off, you make your truck look more like a base model.

I have yet to find a salvage yard with Tacomas in the front range area. It's a rarity.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
If yours is a 99 and stock 4x4 then they are fiberglass.

IMO the only trucks that looks good without the flares is if they're lifted with bigger tires. Otherwise, if you take them off, you make your truck look more like a base model.

I have yet to find a salvage yard with Tacomas in the front range area. It's a rarity.
I know, I just can't find any haha. I will have to call the yards today.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeTacoma View Post
I know, I just can't find any haha. I will have to call the yards today.
They're (flares) are pretty hard to find out here.

I think there might be a full set for sale in the 1st gen marketplace
Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Are they still available?
The question is is the one flare worth 200 for all of them
Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Are they still available?
The question is is the one flare worth 200 for all of them
If you saw the condition of my flares you'd know the answer I'd give you

Old 06-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
haha mine just have a chunk out of one of them and my valance has a not very noticeable end and my driver corner is loose. Thats about all for me. Oh and the grill has a crack.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #14

Honestly, I'm going to buy some bondo and fill in my huge gouges out of my flares (assuming bond is okay to work with on fiberglass - if not I'll buy fiberglass), sand, prime and paint (color matched), and clear coat.

It would honestly be a lot cheaper than buying new flares and I want the color matched look.

You can also fill in the gouges and then bedline/rapture line/etc...
Old 06-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
yea, mine is like a giant chunk though lol
Old 06-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #16

Quote:
yea, mine is like a giant chunk though lol
Mine too
Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #17
You think it is fixable? I might take some pics for you by the way your build thread is nice haha
Old 06-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #18

Quote:
You think it is fixable? I might take some pics for you by the way your build thread is nice haha
It's absolutely fixable.

Fill it in with bondo or fiberglass. Sand it smooth...
Old 06-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #19

These are just some of the worst ones on my flares

Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
Mine is a little worse lol