Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Jerk

Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Rijo is on a distinguished road
Name: George
Rijo's Tacoma Gallery
Jerk

Ok so I bought a 2002 Tacoma double cab a month ago. Took it to Toyota and had them inspect it and give me a list of things the truck needed done. Told them the truck had this "slipping" or "slight jerk" when coming/taking off from a stop. They said it was typical with Tacoma and some Four runners. Told me to inflate the tires to 40lbs or get new tires to help eliminate some of what I experience.
Now I'm no mechanic but it feels like it's more than just the tires. The truck had a new frame put on in January of this year. Any other suggestions or has any one else experienced this?
Please offer up any ideas. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
greese the driveshaft. They have a slip joint that "thumps" when it gets low on greese.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Axle wrap.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
^
both those guys are right
Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Rijo is on a distinguished road
Name: George
Rijo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
greese the driveshaft. They have a slip joint that "thumps" when it gets low on greese.
I'd investigate this, my Supercharged 3.4 doesn't experience axle wrap unless I completely dump it full throttle from a dead stop or punching it going into a turn in 2nd, so.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Hoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: Commander & Chief
Hoyle's Tacoma Gallery
I've searched this forum and read everything to no avail. I have the same "Jerk" and have tried all solutions offered here, from replacement of Springs to More grease, less grease,
Why can't this JERK from the driveshaft be solved? Will a new slipjoint driveshaft remove the JERK feeling on stoping and starting?
This is the only think that bums me out with my Tacoma! .. The only thing I'm unable to resolve.. it must be resolvable! ..

Suggestions for me and the author of this thread!

thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
if your truck is lifted you might look at the carrier bearing too. It can get sloppy or play a part in the clunk if it is worn or needs a spacer to decrease the angle.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Hoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of light

Hoyle's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Box, I installed this " carrier bearing bracket " from streetacos.com here in the forums.. This descreased the angle about 2" ... no difference from what I can tell..

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Wild and Whipper are right, try purging and pump new grease into the driveshaft fittings. worked on my 03
Old 06-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Tashier is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
Tashier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
How can you differentiate this between a bad U-Joint? I've been experiencing a little thump at take-off now for a year or so. Can't find any bad U-joints and greased the drivetrain all up.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashier View Post
How can you differentiate this between a bad U-Joint? I've been experiencing a little thump at take-off now for a year or so. Can't find any bad U-joints and greased the drivetrain all up.
one way to tell is when you change from R to D you can hear a ting or bell sound, that is a ujoint. Also if you have a noticeable chirp chirp when moving that could be a ujoint. Or if you let off the gas and then get back on it and hear a tink or ting that is probably a ujoint. If you do take the driveshaft out and rotate the ujoint range any rough spots or flat spots in the range of motion mean it's time to replace.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
Tashier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossmaster View Post
one way to tell is when you change from R to D you can hear a ting or bell sound, that is a ujoint. Also if you have a noticeable chirp chirp when moving that could be a ujoint. Or if you let off the gas and then get back on it and hear a tink or ting that is probably a ujoint. If you do take the driveshaft out and rotate the ujoint range any rough spots or flat spots in the range of motion mean it's time to replace.
OK, well, the only thing I notice is when launching from full stop there is a clunk or jerk in the drive shaft. No other time do I hear something.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #14

Hoyle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03coma View Post
Wild and Whipper are right, try purging and pump new grease into the driveshaft fittings. worked on my 03

How do I purge the driveshaft? thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 AM   #15
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
I was told by the Toyota dealer to do this when I have that clunking noise,
grease up the yoke fittings until you see the old grease pushing out. I do that about twice a year when doing an oil change, don't have that problem anymore.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
Tashier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03coma View Post
I was told by the Toyota dealer to do this when I have that clunking noise,
grease up the yoke fittings until you see the old grease pushing out. I do that about twice a year when doing an oil change, don't have that problem anymore.
OK, I will need to try that then. What grease is recommended for the job? I have greased mine occasionally with marine grease. (the light green stuff)
Old 06-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Get a URD traction bar. Zero axle wrap, just 80 foot black marks when you get on it lol
Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
If it is sort of like a shuddering for the first little bit from a start or when you are stopping i can almost guarantee it's axle wrap, which is caused by weak springs.
The springs dont necessarily have to be weak for axle wrap to occur. My truck had terrible axle wrap and it only has 6k miles on it. Traction bar stopped 100% of it
Old 06-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #20
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
this is a common and annoying problem. my dad's '07 tundra does the same thing since new. my tacoma used to do it too and i just learned to live with it(by ignoring it). however, somewhere along the lines of modding it, it went away.