Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just installed new suspension from Wheeler's

Old 06-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
98Woodrow is on a distinguished road
98Woodrow's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed new suspension from Wheeler's

Offroad. ~ 6 months ago I bought this 98 reg cab 4x4 from a friend who had parked it for 5 years. slowly I have been replacing the worn out crap and this week it was suspension time. I bought the Wheelers 4 leaf stock set up for the rear, and their OME/Nitro set up for the front. Raised the truck about an inch all the way around.

When I first got the truck the rear leafs were sagging so bad that even a small load of wood made it look like they were going to break. I bought some Timbrens a few mos. ago just to be sure the springs did not break when I was towing my boat. The Timbrens ended up about a half inch above the axle, so every little bump in the road engaged them and made it feel like I was getting punched in the kidneys. Now the Timbrens are good inch and a half above the axle and I do not think they will ever touch except when I have a heavy load.

Now that I have completely replaced the suspension, should I get the front end aligned? It does not seem to be out of whack, but the tires are new, and wearing out expensive tires seems a dumb way to check the alignment.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 186000mps View Post
Yes front end alignment...raising the front end will throw your camber out of whack
Well, I was pretty sure that was true. Thanks for confirming.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
eh..not really. Hell i went like 8 months with a 3+'' with no alignment and it was fine. Then i got one and i actually think it made it worse..lol

also..don't be surprised if you hit your Timbrens again. The 4 packs aren't really that beefy in terms of load capacity. Hell my 5 pack and the AAL from wheelers squats with my trailer on it. Not much..but still.

Other then that, enjoy the new ride
Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
eh..not really. Hell i went like 8 months with a 3+'' with no alignment and it was fine. Then i got one and i actually think it made it worse..lol

also..don't be surprised if you hit your Timbrens again. The 4 packs aren't really that beefy in terms of load capacity. Hell my 5 pack and the AAL from wheelers squats with my trailer on it. Not much..but still.

Other then that, enjoy the new ride
No doubt given the way I overload things from time to time I will get to know Mr. Timbren again. I just got a little tired of getting punched in the kidneys every single time I hit a little bump in the roadway. The old setup was such that when I did put some firewood in it and contacted the Timbrens full time, the ride was smoother.

I already have the appointment for the alignment and will report back, esp the camber adjustments if I get them.