LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission mount question

Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
buck351 is on a distinguished road
buck351's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission mount question

So after searching high and low I haven't found an answer to this question. I have a 2002 S-Runner, manual trans and want to know the purpose is of the vertical bolt on the transmission mount. Tightening the bolt puts a compression load on the rubber in the mount. It looks like it's there for some sort of preload on the rubber. Anyone know?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe the bolt is only threaded so far and you can only tighten it till there are no more threads.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
hossmaster will become famous soon enough
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
its to keep your trans in place if there is a catastrophic mount failure or if you are in an accident.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
HAWAII SELLS MORE TACOMAS THAN ANY OTHER STATE!
00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of

Name: Jack
00YotaComa's Tacoma Gallery
rubber boot around bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossmaster View Post
its to keep your trans in place if there is a catastrophic mount failure or if you are in an accident.
If the rubber around that rear bolt is torn and bolt can be turned and wiggled around, would that be a cause of what i think is a driveline viberation (even if the two rubber blocks appear to be intact)? I have already changed the center bearing, all u joints and had drive shaft balanced.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
hossmaster will become famous soon enough
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00YotaComa View Post
If the rubber around that rear bolt is torn and bolt can be turned and wiggled around, would that be a cause of what i think is a driveline viberation (even if the two rubber blocks appear to be intact)? I have already changed the center bearing, all u joints and had drive shaft balanced.
maybe??? but that bolt is supposed to be "free" as it isnt doing anything until the oh shit moment.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
HAWAII SELLS MORE TACOMAS THAN ANY OTHER STATE!
00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of00YotaComa has much to be proud of

Name: Jack
00YotaComa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossmaster View Post
maybe??? but that bolt is supposed to be "free" as it isnt doing anything until the oh shit moment.
Ok. Thanks! Kinda thought that. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for problem. Ever heard of the front (4wd) driveshaft free spining at or around 50 mph in 2wd and maybe that is vibrating due to u-joints needing replaced? Gunna check to see any movement in that shaft today.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
dismember
Supertramp has a spectacular aura aboutSupertramp has a spectacular aura aboutSupertramp has a spectacular aura about

Supertramp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00YotaComa View Post
Ok. Thanks! Kinda thought that. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for problem. Ever heard of the front (4wd) driveshaft free spining at or around 50 mph in 2wd and maybe that is vibrating due to u-joints needing replaced? Gunna check to see any movement in that shaft today.
Not sure if front driveshaft turns in 2WD or not on Tacomas, but I had a TJ Jeep vibration (at around 50 mph) that drove me nuts until I figured out I had a bent front (4WD) driveshaft and replaced it.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can answer whether or not it turns while in 2WD.