Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cowl Removal / Replacement

Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Cowl Removal / Replacement

Has anyone replaced the cowl (plastic piece under the windshield wiper arms) or possibly removed it and repainted it? I searched the 1st Gen forum but didn't find anything.

Mine is badly faded but new ones are close to $400! I was thinking about trying to polish off the oxidation or maybe lightly sand it and then paint it (after removing it, of course).

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...700-04240.html
Old 06-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Somewhere in the "what have you done" thread is both TacoMX and I doing it.

For an abbreviated visual, check my build. Here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post4979728

Mine was so faded it was light gray. It's simple to remove, take your time with the clips, they tend to break. I cleaned mine first, dried it, lightly sanded it with 320 grit, wiped it down with a duplicolor prep wipe, then primed and painted it.

I painted my wiper arms too while I was at it.. .they were a bit faded and chipped.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^Thanks.

Surprisingly, my wiper arms are in perfect shape. But my cowl piece looks like yours did before you painted it.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
I have always had good luck with Krylon Fusion paint for plastic. It's like $5 a can. No sanding or primer is needed. Just scrub it down with degreaser and dry it first. Satin black would make it look the most original.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #5

Thanks. I'll take before & after pictures and post them here.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #6

Before
Attached Thumbnails
Cowl Removal / Replacement-cowl-before.jpg  
Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #7

The bulk of this project was cleaning this thing. What a pain getting the crud off between the louvers.

Anyway, I used Krylon Fusion Satin Black. No sanding or priming. We'll see how long it holds up.
Attached Thumbnails
Cowl Removal / Replacement-cowl-after.jpg  
Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good.

Mine just went through a brutal Colorado summer, read: intense UV, and it still looks like the day I painted it.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I would have used an adhesion promoter before the krylon, but looks good.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #10

Cheers.

Has anyone tried painting their faded mud flaps? I was thinking of doing that next with the Satin Black. After that, maybe my fender flares.

One of my side mirrors needs painting as well, but I'll use gloss black for that.