1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What should I look for in 1st gen

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Troyd, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Jun 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    Troyd

Troyd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road 5 speed
    stock for now
    Probably going to trade my 11 taco in on an 04 taco( extra cab, trd off road, silver, cap , 5 speed manuel ) The frame is in good condition , what else should I be lookin for in these trucks? Over all it's a clean truck, I feel like the clutch may let out a lil late but maybe that's how they are. Just want to pick it appart before I do the deal. Any advice or tips would help. Thanks

2. Jun 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    tacomarotto

tacomarotto "Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    Audi S3
    good choice :thumbsup:

and good luck with her! not much to check for other than the frame and the overall visual condition of the truck exterior and interior. Sounds like you already test drove it too so thats good.

3. Jun 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    trmarshall1

trmarshall1 The Least Interesting Man In The World

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Supercharged
    4" Pro-Comp Lift, TRD cat back exhaust, grey wire mod, clutch pedal linear spring mod
    If the frame is rust free, depending on mileage, make sure it had the 90k mile service done(timing belt/water pump). Obviously regular service is the key to vehicle longevity.

4. Jun 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 33's,armor,crawler,dents, ect. 2020 Gladiator
    OME lift CBI sliders, front bumper homemade rear bumper 33x12.50 m/t Gears Aussie locker inchworm crawlbox Homemade flat belly
    Crawl under it check all areas that may leak. CV, trans,axle seals, carrier bearing, exhaust. steering rack tie rods. IMO its always worth it to take to a shop and have them carpet bomb it for anything that may be wrong. Most places will do it for free because if you decide to have it fixed they may get to do it.

5. Jun 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    tacomarotto

tacomarotto "Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    Audi S3
    yea good point. all of the above.

i did that when i was looking to purchase my tacoma. took it to a local shop to evaluate it

6. Jun 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    Troyd

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road 5 speed
    stock for now
    Thanks guys I will check that all out. If the service records don't show that the timing belt was done is there a way to check for that. Anything I can look for? New bolts , gaskets, paint stick writing, etc. ?

7. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    Troyd

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road 5 speed
    stock for now
    And if the timing belt hasn't been done . Should I be worried? And what does that usually run?

8. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    DEFINITELY check the to see if the timing belt has been done! If it hasn't you can use that as a bargaining tool to get the price lower. If it has been done than that will just be an added bonus. They are supposed to be done at 90K miles, but I have heard of some people going to 150K miles on the original.

9. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    OME lift CBI sliders, front bumper homemade rear bumper 33x12.50 m/t Gears Aussie locker inchworm crawlbox Homemade flat belly
    i did 180k:eek:

10. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Troyd

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road 5 speed
    stock for now
    Any way to tell if it's been done beside service records?

11. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen Tacoma
    Chicken lights, chrome and smoke tunes.
  12. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Should be a sticker on the fancy plastic belt cover.

13. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    The 90kservice was part of the agreement before I brought my truck. You could try getting it done that way instead of out of pocket.

14. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Troyd

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road 5 speed
    stock for now
    Thanks I will look for it. The truck has 114k on it btw I forgot to mention that in my original posting. I also went and drove an 02 double cab automatic tonight, I think I def liked the 5 speed better.

15. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    Troyd

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road 5 speed
    stock for now
    Where do the frames usually rot out on these again?

16. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Ask the DEALER for the Frame report......the VIN has to be in national system no matter what state you are in...Did the re-frame campaign include either of your "New" trucks???

Great idea on getting the timing belt/water pump done as part of purchase price........Warranty,warranty,warranty :rolleyes:

If it was done,there SHOULD be a sticker on the airbox or near the radiator shroud..

TAKE ALL of the above advice and WORK your deal....hell work them on both trucks and see where they fall out....the double cab should be a few $$ more if equipped right BUT use that towards your advantage on the TRD :cool:..

My frame had one small spot ;driver side rear spring hanger no bigger than a dime !!!

17. Jun 5, 2012 at 3:21 AM
    Troyd

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road 5 speed
    stock for now
    Very good thanks brotha

18. Jun 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    All good advise above.

When you drive it make sure to listen for any noises from the transmission/clutch. Any grinding into gear? Try driving in each gear and letting off the gas with the clutch not depressed. Does it pop out of gear? Any noises that are there or not there depending on if you have the clutch pedal pressed in?

If it has modifications, are they done well? Tires look like they are wearing evenly? If cupped or edge wear may have suspension/alignment issues.

I like the shop idea above. After I've looked one over good I often work a deal with the owner where I take it to the local Toyota place and have it looked over. Most have no problem with this. I've run into two levels of this check over. One is a freebie that they do and the other is the one they go through on a vehicle that they are checking out to put on the lot to sell. Cost me about $100, but well worth it if there are huge problems found and it is very complete.

Guess last thing would be to check out the vin. When looking I ran into more than one truck that was iffy when I checked the vin. Including one truck that had been smogged a month before at 168k and when I looked at it the odo read 115k and seller was trying to sell at that price level. Worse on that truck was it had been reported stolen not long after the smog so there I was looking at a odo fiddle stolen truck!

You can also log into MyToyota and plug in the vin as if you own it. This will let you see any service records that Toyota may have on it. Either that or you can talk to the service person and see if they will tell you what they show has been done to it. Can't give you previous owner into, but can give service work completed.

That has been useful too as looked at a few trucks that had been in a week before to be checked out for whatever and expensive service work found needing to be done that was declined by the owner. Owner made out while I was looking that they knew of no problems with the truck and when I looked at it I could see that the work still needed doing.

Anyway, best of luck with it.

Cheers

19. Jun 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    pt law

pt law Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    04 xtracab 4x4 TRD
    OP

I would NOT buy a 2004 in PA unless you verify with Toyota that it has been undercoated as part of the 2001-2004 frame warranty. If it has not been undercoated and it later fails (develops perforation) then Toyota will NOT replace the frame, which is what they are doing now, or buy back the truck (they have not done this but it is at their option in the future to do so). Toyota has been unwilling to bend on this one thus far. There is a member on here who bought a truck in Michigan without it being undercoated and it failed the inspection. He made a complaint with Toyota corporate and they flatly denied his claim even after his protest.

Just my two cents. I have lost my first 2000 to the buy back and I am just about due for a frame replacement on my 2004 (frame is in very bad shape now so just waiting for that perforation even after it was treated).

Good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top