LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why Don't 3.4's have EGR?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Why Don't 3.4's have EGR?

This is something that has been occasionally picking at my brain for a long time now. I'm hoping someone here knows why 3.4's don't need an EGR valve?

Some thoughts:

- Many newer vehicles do away with it because they have variable cam/valve timing that can produce a similar effect to an EGR valve however, 3.4's don't have this feature.

- Maybe it's just because the engine naturally produces very low NOX levels due to a particular combination of compression ratio and valve/ignition timing?

- Maybe the levels aren't actually that low but there are special exemptions on light trucks during those years? Similar to how diesel truck emissions laws lagged 20 years behind gasoline laws until recently?

- No matter what I know it's going to boil down to the fact that the 3.4 just kicks ass, but we all knew that anyway

- Do the 2nd gen v6's have EGR valves?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I was told that the cam timing made an EGR un nessesary on it.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
00toytaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Joshua
00toytaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2000 toyota tacoma 3.4 liter it does have an egr valve and an egr vacuum. There on the backside of the motor look at a haynes manual.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't seen any thing with out an egr valve since 1968.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Haven't seen any thing with out an egr valve since 1968.
the 3.6 Pentastar engine doesnt have one.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00toytaco View Post
I have a 2000 toyota tacoma 3.4 liter it does have an egr valve and an egr vacuum. There on the backside of the motor look at a haynes manual.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...erg-valve.html

there's no reference of a EGR valve in the '98-'00 FSM
Haven't found mine in 13 years of servicing muh junk !?

I did read something related to mini 2wd's, early 4R's, Tundra
but I don't assume to trust everything I read.

Let's see the picture of yers !?

F that haynes crap
Old 05-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
My California 2001 V6 must not have had an EGR from the showroom floor because I swapped a motor in from a 1997 4runner and I don't see an EGR valve. Passed CA smog this year too.