Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Where Can I Get a Decent Droplight?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
skeezix is on a distinguished road
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Where Can I Get a Decent Droplight?

Well, I burned my arm for the last time with that dad-burned metal droplight. I had a fit and smashed it so I'd be forced to buy a new one.

That one never worked for me (rubber handle, incandescent bulb, metal reflector and guard). No matter how I positioned it, no matter where in the vehicle, it always managed to cast a nice dark shadow covering only the work area while shining brightly in my eyes. The fixed hanger never allowed me to place it "just right". And if I tried to sneak past it with my arm it avenged itself by giving me a nice hot burn

Only the light is broken, the reel works nicely. I thought I'd ask here to see what a good replacement would be for a DIY mechanic like myself. One that would stay put, that would let me position it without the cord twisting it back into my eyes, and one that would cast a good light for me (gettin' old don'tcha see). Then I wouldn't have to reach past it and burn myself in the process....

What about those long fluorescent tube types??
Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey! Horrendously off topic posts go in 2nd gen or Canada! Not here...
Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Makita brand fluorescent drop light for a long time. All plastic body, lens, and it cast a nice bright, wide pattern that didn't wash out. It was a great light.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
spins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
spins615's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Lets keep it to just Canada eh? haha

I have this one...love it..has a magnet on the back side so you can place it almost anywhere that has iron in it and a plug so it works as an extension cord. doesn't get to hot either.

http://www.harborfreight.com/slim-li...ght-46114.html
Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spins615 View Post

I have this one...love it..has a magnet on the back side so you can place it almost anywhere that has iron in it and a plug so it works as an extension cord. doesn't get to hot either.

Haha it seems like way more threads that come from out in left field pop up in the second gen forum than here... Just trying to follow the status quo
Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
My Tacoma is 1st generation so I thought this would be the logical place to ask the question. Not so sure about the reference to Canada though...
Old 06-09-2012, 04:48 AM   #8
randytrish is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
randytrish's Tacoma Gallery
You really don't need to replace the light, just the bulb. I have the same style light and now I use a CFL bulb in it and it doesn't get hot enough to burn you.
Randy
Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea. I was wondering about that - whether CFL would get hot enough. I don't know which is worse - getting burned by a hot drop light or getting shocked... Now, if I can only get the thing to put light where I want it without it blinding me in the process and without my casting a shadow on the work area...
Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spins615 View Post

yeah lets keep it just in the canada! i trying to find shit in the 2nd gen. because of all the BS/off topic crap.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
yeah lets keep it just in the canada! i trying to find shit in the 2nd gen. because of all the BS/off topic crap.
You could find threads quicker and easier if you could use grammar and spell correctly... just saying.

Frank
Old 06-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #12
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
You could find threads quicker and easier if you could use grammar and spell correctly... just saying.

Frank
well the other day i was not looking/searching for any one thing. i was looking for any cool small mods. when i do search for something 99.9% of time i can find it in about 10 min for less.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
well the other day i was not looking/searching for any one thing. i was looking for any cool small mods. when i do search for something 99.9% of time i can find it in about 10 min for less.
Sorry... I didn't use a "smiley", I was just having fun with you.

Frank

Products Discussed in this Thread