Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear spring question 99 tacoma

Old 06-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Ibdoubled is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Ibdoubled's Tacoma Gallery
Rear spring question 99 tacoma

I bought this thing a few months back and have been trying to get it back fairly stock it's a 4wd extended cab. Under the rear leaf springs is a fairly thick maybe 5/8" helper spring, I was wondering if this is stock because it rides like a tank. Or do they just comes with the leaf springs? Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds like the overload, which is normal. There should be 3 leafs and one overload (thick one on the bottom)

Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
I think that's about how it looks it sure rides rough on my old bones
Old 06-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its a pickup truck, not a minivan. Get used to it.

That overload leaf really does not affect the ride much, since it is curved downward. Its supposed to prevent damage to the main pack when the truck is overloaded.

More weight in the back (camper shell?) would help the ride a bit.

If the front suspension had been modified for lift, it could have worsened the ride if done cheaply.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
hossmaster will become famous soon enough
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
What shock are you running in the back? If they are twin tube hyrdo shocks i can see why they beat the crap out of you. Maybe a set of bilsteins or other monotube gas shocks are in order
Old 06-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Right now it has a bilstien on one side and a Monroe on the other, the idiot I bought if from must have broken the left rear shock mount, the sud portion, then in another act of brilliance he welded a bolt to hold the shock on. I need to fi a stud to reweld on before I can cut the shock off. I've looked on line for the mount but havent had any luck.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Excuse me for riding the coattails of this thread but I have a question.

My rear leafs (original stock) have been frowning for years.

Will these things eventually just break in half? lol
Old 06-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdoubled View Post
Right now it has a bilstien on one side and a Monroe on the other, the idiot I bought if from must have broken the left rear shock mount, the sud portion, then in another act of brilliance he welded a bolt to hold the shock on. I need to fi a stud to reweld on before I can cut the shock off. I've looked on line for the mount but havent had any luck.
it's would probably be a better option to redo the shock mounts and move them away from stock.

search shock relocation and you will get some ideas.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Excuse me for riding the coattails of this thread but I have a question.

My rear leafs (original stock) have been frowning for years.

Will these things eventually just break in half? lol
maybe, depends on abuse and road conditions. It has happened but more than likely one leaf breaks in the pack and you get a hell of a lean.