Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plastic Jerry Can help

Old 06-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Plastic Jerry Can help

I honestly have no idea what forum to post this in, so I just default to the coolest one

I have two plastic jerry cans that have had gasoline in them for probably 9 years.

I am wondering what do I need to do if I want to actually use them this summer, eg properly disposing of the gasoline currently in them and then cleaning? or treating? the jerry cans so I can properly store new gasoline.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Removable tanks, such as those that come with boat motors, motorcycles and lawn care equipment tend to be easier to clean. However, they usually hold gasoline mixed with oil and tend to be left sitting longer between uses, so cleaning them is essential. The tank should be removed from its moorings and drained of any fuel. The fuel itself should be strained through a thick cloth if one intends to use it again. Once empty, throw in a handful of screws, bolts and nuts as well as a quart of cleaning solvent. The best cleaning solvent to use is acetone, given its tendency to vaporize quickly. The metal will help to scour the insides of the tank free of anything that would stick. Seal the cap of the tank, and then shake it thoroughly before pouring out the solvent and metal. You may need to rinse out the tank with more clean solvent, repeating the process until the solvent comes out clear. Simply leave the tank--cap off--in a well ventilated area for a day. The solvent will have vaporized by then, leaving you with a clean tank.

Read more: Cleaning the Inside of a Plastic Gas Tank | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4794946...#ixzz1xJmA8HBI

Seen ^^^^this on the net I have heard of doing this in cars with old gas tanks.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
The Lone Wolf of TW!
Ninja is on a distinguished road

Name: Charles
Ninja's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^This

As for the old gasoline, most municipalities have a HazMat facility that will take old gasoline....as well as other chemicals, materials, and such...I looked up the one for Boulder and came up with this:
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index...338&Itemid=450
Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have found that the closest storm sewer readily accepts gasoline, used oil, paint, batteries, tires, and anything else I can fit down it.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
I have found that the closest storm sewer readily accepts gasoline, used oil, paint, batteries, tires, and anything else I can fit down it.
Thank you for your continued pollution efforts
Old 06-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
tacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robbie
tacomaforlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You are quite welcome. Glad I'm not the only one that enjoys the pretty rainbow oil film on top of all my waterways!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
^^^^This

As for the old gasoline, most municipalities have a HazMat facility that will take old gasoline....as well as other chemicals, materials, and such...I looked up the one for Boulder and came up with this:
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index...338&Itemid=450
Yeah, been there many times.

I think I'll just trash these plastic ones and not deal with the really old gasoline. Then buy new metal ones and take care of them.

Quote:
Old 06-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You are quite welcome. Glad I'm not the only one that enjoys the pretty rainbow oil film on top of all my waterways!
Take a trip to the gulf of Mexico. You'll love the water down there!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Submariner is on a distinguished road

Navy: Retired Submariner
Name: Wayne
Submariner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Yeah, been there many times.

I think I'll just trash these plastic ones and not deal with the really old gasoline. Then buy new metal ones and take care of them.

Go out the nearest national forest and find a pile that has not been burned yet, put them inside them as far as you can get them and touch them off. a forest fire fighter will thank you for new job opporturnities.

Just kidding, take them to your nearest hazmat center and turn everything in to them
Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Ill buy those cans if you ars really interested in getting rid of them
Old 06-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Time for epic bone fire.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Ill buy those cans if you ars really interested in getting rid of them
Can't tell if serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Time for epic bone fire.
That's what she said.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can't tell if serious...

That's what she said.
Haha he is serious
Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Haha he is serious
Not exactly sure I feel safe shipping jerry cans w/gasoline in them
Old 06-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not exactly sure I feel safe shipping jerry cans w/gasoline in them
Well if they are the old style jerry cans.. I definitely would not throw them out. Find a place to dump the gas and sell them, they are not easy to come by.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Well if they are the old style jerry cans.. I definitely would not throw them out. Find a place to dump the gas and sell them, they are not easy to come by.
They're plastic ones I bought about 10 years ago

Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Hello Jerry!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #19

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They're plastic ones I bought about 10 years ago

I actually am constantly on the lookout for those... garage sales, flea markets, etc. I hate the stupid spouts on the newer CARB compliant ones and end up spilling way more than would have evaporated or whatever the hell they were made to stop from happening.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
@ MadjikMan, properly dispose of the fuel and sell them. I need to find some old school metal ones for fuel and water...hmmm, looks like I gotta start hitting the flea markets again.