Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Put new window motor in and still has doesn't work

Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Troyd is on a distinguished road
Troyd's Tacoma Gallery
Put new window motor in and still has doesn't work

Today my passanger side window wouldn't go up from my driver side switch or from the pass side switch. I took the door all apparent and replaced the motor. Still doesn't move the window. My wires look good. Could it be a bad switch ? If so wouldn't it still work from my driver side switch. There calling for rain and my windows stuck down and doors all apart. Help needed ....
Old 06-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Bad relay for the passenger window?

Isn't that truck under warranty? Its only a year old.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Check wires/harness for driver side switch. When driver side switch is unplugged or if a single wire is damaged, the corresponding window AND individual switch will not work (if that makes sense)

Check relays and fuses. Don't believe each window has its own but worth a 2 minute check anyways.

You need to start eliminating options. First if you have a multi meter, start at the passenger window motor and check for power. If power and ground is good, then its the motor. If no power AND/OR ground is present, move back to the passenger switch. Test again. If still no power/ground, check driver side. If it has power/ground, then the problem is the switch. If it didn't and your checking the driver side, be sure to check power/ground for ALL four window individually. If has no power and you checked all relays and fuses, then I'm stumped.

In order to check a switch, you must check for power and ground when the switch is at rest, AND check with the switch in the up AND down position. Hopefully you have some knowledge of electrical or this could get very difficult to explain.

My bets are on a lose wire or broken/corroded switch. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
Troyd's Tacoma Gallery
I traded my 11 in on an 04 on thursday and this happens with no warranty what so ever. Thanks for the advice. I just checked my old motor , and it turns still both ways when I touch it to my battery depending on which one lead I put to positive and negative. I guess my motor is still good. I just checked my switch to see if it was getting power to the plug where the motor is plugged into. When the switch isn't be pressed it reads zero on the volt meter, when the button is pressed up or down the volts jump all over the place , never really consistent. Any ideas ?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
Troyd's Tacoma Gallery
How do I check my relays?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
rushr is on a distinguished road
rushr's Tacoma Gallery
Since neither switch works to operate the passenger window check the window lock switch first.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyd View Post
How do I check my relays?
Just switch it with a like relay know to work. Use one that isn't important such as fog light relay etc. If window now works and fogs don't, then you have an answer. That is easier then applying voltage/ground to pin 85/86 and testing continuity from 30-87 and 30-87a
Old 06-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
NOTICE: My suggestions posted here are based on over 20 years as an ASE certified Master Automotive Technician. I am stating here that if you use my suggestions, I am not to be held responsible for anything that may break or become damaged. Always check your own work, and look up information.

OK, I am going to assume that since you are only complaining of a pass window problem, that the other window(s) work fine. If that is the case, then your fuse and power relay work just fine. So with that eliminated, lets look a little deeper:

According to the wiring schematics, and your description, I would believe the fault to be in the driver's window switch. If you attempt to operate the window up from the passenger's door, it applies power from terminal 2 to terminal 1 at the passenger's switch. because terminal 3 is normally connected to ground through terminal 5, which is grounded thru the driver's window switch, normal up-operation should occur. Since this does NOT happen, I suspect that there is an internal problem in the drivers switch. The way to properly test this is as follows:

Step 1: disconnect all connectors from driver's window switch.
Step 2: connect a jumper from terminal 6 to terminal 3 of the driver's switch connector (this applies a ground to the passenger's window motor for "up" mode)
Step 3: operate the passenger's switch to the "up" position. The window should go up. WARNING! DO NOT PRESS "WINDOW DOWN" WHILE THE JUMPER IS BETWEEN TERMINALS 6 AND 3!!! This will short the window power circuit to ground, resulting in at minimum a blown fuse.

If you complete these steps and the window still does not go up:

Remove jumper, reconnect driver's window switch. Disconnect passenger's window switch and check for ground on terminals 5 and 2. If the above attempt resulted in a no-go condition, I would look to see no ground on terminal 2. If there is no ground on terminal 2, check for a loose connection at terminal 6 of the driver's switch connector, or a open wire between the driver's switch connector terminal 6, and passenger's switch connector terminal 2.

Driver's switch connector information:
Terminal 3: white/black wire
Terminal 6: red/green wire
Terminal 14: red/black wire

Passenger's switch connector information:
Terminal 1: green wire
Terminal 2: red/green wire
Terminal 3: blue/orange wire
Terminal 4: blue/red wire
Terminal 5: red/black wire
Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushr View Post
Since neither switch works to operate the passenger window check the window lock switch first.
Depending on application, this could be a possibility. If the truck only has 2 doors. If it is a 4-door truck, and the other windows work correctly, then it can't be the lock switch.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
His truck is a double cab which means it has 4 windows, unless all his passenger windows aren't working, then it isn't the lock switch...

It should be under warranty since it's a 2011...
Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrinaf View Post

It should be under warranty since it's a 2011...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyd View Post
I traded my 11 in on an 04 on thursday and this happens with no warranty what so ever. Thanks for the advice. I just checked my old motor , and it turns still both ways when I touch it to my battery depending on which one lead I put to positive and negative. I guess my motor is still good. I just checked my switch to see if it was getting power to the plug where the motor is plugged into. When the switch isn't be pressed it reads zero on the volt meter, when the button is pressed up or down the volts jump all over the place , never really consistent. Any ideas ?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrinaf View Post
His truck is a double cab which means it has 4 windows, unless all his passenger windows aren't working, then it isn't the lock switch....
I think that is exactly what I just said..... lol
Since he traded it in I have no idea if his new truck is a 2 or 4 door model. hence the post.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I think that is exactly what I just said..... lol
Since he traded it in I have no idea if his new truck is a 2 or 4 door model. hence the post.

I wasn't aware he had traded his truck and was re-affirming what you said about the window lock...
Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
NOTICE: My suggestions posted here are based on over 20 years as an ASE certified Master Automotive Technician. I am stating here that if you use my suggestions, I am not to be held responsible for anything that may break or become damaged. Always check your own work, and look up information.

OK, I am going to assume that since you are only complaining of a pass window problem, that the other window(s) work fine. If that is the case, then your fuse and power relay work just fine. So with that eliminated, lets look a little deeper:

According to the wiring schematics, and your description, I would believe the fault to be in the driver's window switch. If you attempt to operate the window up from the passenger's door, it applies power from terminal 2 to terminal 1 at the passenger's switch. because terminal 3 is normally connected to ground through terminal 5, which is grounded thru the driver's window switch, normal up-operation should occur. Since this does NOT happen, I suspect that there is an internal problem in the drivers switch. The way to properly test this is as follows:

Step 1: disconnect all connectors from driver's window switch.
Step 2: connect a jumper from terminal 6 to terminal 3 of the driver's switch connector (this applies a ground to the passenger's window motor for "up" mode)
Step 3: operate the passenger's switch to the "up" position. The window should go up. WARNING! DO NOT PRESS "WINDOW DOWN" WHILE THE JUMPER IS BETWEEN TERMINALS 6 AND 3!!! This will short the window power circuit to ground, resulting in at minimum a blown fuse.

If you complete these steps and the window still does not go up:

Remove jumper, reconnect driver's window switch. Disconnect passenger's window switch and check for ground on terminals 5 and 2. If the above attempt resulted in a no-go condition, I would look to see no ground on terminal 2. If there is no ground on terminal 2, check for a loose connection at terminal 6 of the driver's switch connector, or a open wire between the driver's switch connector terminal 6, and passenger's switch connector terminal 2.

Driver's switch connector information:
Terminal 3: white/black wire
Terminal 6: red/green wire
Terminal 14: red/black wire

Passenger's switch connector information:
Terminal 1: green wire
Terminal 2: red/green wire
Terminal 3: blue/orange wire
Terminal 4: blue/red wire
Terminal 5: red/black wire
^^ This! Great info. Exactly what I was trying to say about the switches. Most people don't get that if the the driver side switch is damaged then the other switch will not work either. They need each other in order to function.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #16
ASE Master Tech

Just a note to the OP.... Did you get things fixed? Kinda curious how things turned out. Don't leave us hangin bro! lol
Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #17
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
This is kind of a old thread but it's the only one i can find with info on my issue.

My passenger window went out and I've been fighting it for a wile now. The motor has been changed the passenger window switch and I switched out the driver switch assembly with another 1st Gen to see if it worked and nothing! I'm stumped on it so I figured I'd post up in here to see if you guys have an any insight mainly you Bill

Driver side switch for the passenger window does nothing and the passenger switch will roll it up but not down.