Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD headers!!! Questions...

Old 06-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation TRD headers!!! Questions...

OK so I managed to find some TRD headers for $550. Brand new still in the box.
Left and Right headers are numbered:00602-17141-003

1.) ...Answered...

2.) ***They are for a 1995-1998 T100 V6, will they fit a 1996 xtra cab tacoma?

3.) What gains in power and/or mpg's should I expect?

4.) sound difference? I already have flowmaster 50s, how will they change the sound?

5.) ease of installation. How much $$$ to have a shop do it if it's not easy?

6.) are the gaskets easy to find?

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
TRD headers!!! Questions...-trd.jpg   TRD headers!!! Questions...-trd3.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Read up on that deal some more. Said that it comes with and unopened parts bag. I'm guessing that's where my gaskets would be, right?
Someone let me know about these things please!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
got 5VZFE?

Okay, here is the full set of headers. I finally got the picture.
Now, is there anyone out there who can tell me if these will fit? I really need to know if this set of TRD headers from a T100 will fit in the Tacoma engine bay. Does anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails
TRD headers!!! Questions...-trd4.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a good price to find on those headers. They are hard to find. They give good gains, and are easy to install. Not sure what the difference is between the T100 and tacoma though.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
I dont see why they wouldnt fit but buy em and if they dont then just resell them!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
got 5VZFE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Thats a good price to find on those headers. They are hard to find. They give good gains, and are easy to install. Not sure what the difference is between the T100 and tacoma though.
Thanks thats one answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinramsay View Post
I dont see why they wouldnt fit but buy em and if they dont then just resell them!
I'm thinking about doing that. I've been comparing pictures and they look very close. I'll wait a little to see if any one else out there knows about this.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
got 5VZFE?

**The passenger side header is numbered: 00602-17141-003
How hard would an install be? Do you have to pull the engine or move some stuff? That may be a deciding factor because I don't happen to have an engine lift sitting around. How much would a shop or dealer charge to have them put in if the install is hard?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
**The passenger side header is numbered: 00602-17141-003
How hard would an install be? Do you have to pull the engine or move some stuff? That may be a deciding factor because I don't happen to have an engine lift sitting around. How much would a shop or dealer charge to have them put in if the install is hard?
You dont have to pull the engine. Lift the front, remove the wheels, and you can access everything from the wheel wells if needed.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
got 5VZFE?

I've looked through the wheel wells and that sure looks tight, I can't even get a visual of the bottom set of studs. I tried feeling around and couldn't really get to them either. I can't imagine wrenching those nuts off through there, and the drivers side is really stuffed in there.
Might not get them if I don't figure this out.
It's just that it seems it was all they could do to stuff this 3.4 in there.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
I installed my TRD headers on my 04 Taco myself. I had to use a crow's foot wrench on one or two of the exhaust nuts. I would suggest that you start spraying the studs/nuts with some type of penetrating oil a week or two in advance at least every other day. I didn't have to cut the manifolds or original piping to remove them, as the directions suggested. If you take your time, you can figure out how to turn and finagle them out. The only thing I did have to do was unbolt the right side engine mounts and raise the motor slightly with a floor jack and 2X4 in order to install the passenger side header. You will need to take your cat to a welding shop to have the included flange welded onto it. Make sure you get a good measurement of where you need the flange and put allignment marks on the cat and the flange so you know where to allign them up when they are welded.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
got 5VZFE?

The flange doesn't bolt onto the cat? It appears to in the pictures. Another thing is, looking at the front of the cat, those bolts look rusted in there really good. Replacing the O2 sensor was hard enough up there, I stripped one of the studs taking the nut off. That front is rusted even worse.
I'd definitely soak everything in penetrating oil for a while.
You said you had to raise one side of the engine, I don't want to damage anything. I don't have as much experience working with an engine, I'm only 17.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
It may be different for your truck. On my 04, IIRC, there is about a 10 to 12 inch section of pipe that sticks off the front of the cat. I had to cut this off and have the new flange welded very close to the cat. Then I believe the new Y pipe bolted to the new flange.

As far as raising one side of the motor, your truck may be different. I had to, because I couldn't slide the flange of the new header onto the exhaust studs, as there wasn't enough room between the studs and the frame. I was nervous about doing it, as I was worried that something would shift and things wouldn't allign back up, but I didn't have any issues.

At 17, this will be a good learning experience for you.