1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Coolant ECU Sensor?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JaCkaL829, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jun 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    JaCkaL829

JaCkaL829 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

I've been fixing, and still having problems with my 96 Tacoma 2.7L 4 cylinder. I still get trouble starting it, especially when it's warm. It's very erratic. It cranks no problem, but isn't firing. Once it does start the truck runs perfectly fine. I researched on google a little and found a post on toyota nation...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/7...3-96-tacoma-4cyl-hard-start-warm-weather.html

It sounds very familiar to my problem. It appears as though the coolant sensor is the culprit for some reason. I'm just wondering how many sensors are on the 2.7? I'm hoping just one. I'm thinking about going to autozone to get this sensor and see if that helps. It's only $24 so I figure it's worth a shot. Was just wondering where is this sensor located, and do I need to drain my coolant if I replace it? Is it very difficulty to replace, or is it just unbolting the sensor, disconnect/connect wiring clip? This is what it looks like...

[​IMG]

Any other help/advice would be appreciated. I have a new battery, the charging/starting system was tested by two different places and came out good.

2. Jun 11, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The coolant temp sensor is an easy replacement. I do suggest you do it with a cold engine though. If you do it correctly, you will have a minimal amount of coolant loss. This sensor is located on the rear of the engine cylinder head. Good luck and let us know how it works.

3. Jun 11, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It's kind of a PITA to get to... don't confuse it for the one on the front of the motor which is for the gauge.

Products Discussed in

To Top