1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking on trading 2nd Gen for a 1st Gen

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wtxbadger, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Jun 16, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    wtxbadger

wtxbadger [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    I am looking at possibly trading my 09 Tacoma for an 04 Tacoma but have some questions and concerns about the 04 and hope some of you may have experience with or some insights.

When I looked at the engine compartment it seemed to have rust on most of the metal that was not painted or the aluminum parts and the aluminum looked discolored on the intake. When I looked under the truck there were several rusted holes in the engine skid plate and the gas tank skid plate was rusted up also. I also saw rust on the frame but did not see on the underneath side of the cab and bed.

The truck is originally from Massachusetts and is for sale on a dealers lot here in west Texas.

I have come across a couple of threads on the frame rust issue and wondered if the rust problem was more wide spread than just the frame? I also wondered if Toyota honored fixing the rust issue for just the original owner or if they covered this problem for people that bought one used?

The truck runs and drives good and overall seems to have been fairly well taken care of. I really like my 2nd Gen but am trying to cut down on my monthly expenses and get rid of a truck payment.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

wtxbadger

2. Jun 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    RtacomaN

RtacomaN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    I'd be very careful buying from east coast. Nearly everyone I talked to said the stuff they put down on the roads in winter cause major rust and mess with the under carriage pretty bad

3. Jun 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    dont do it my 98 is prestine, no rust and is 6 years older

4. Jun 16, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    I have had both and I liked my second gen. Maybe because it was all fixed up the way I like it but I'm working on this one and it has his perks. I also ditched mine to end the payments. I sometimes miss it but this truck does everything I need it to for a quarter of the cost . I would look for one and be patient, find a killer deal and use that money to make your truck more appealing to you or use the money for other bills

5. Jun 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    wtxbadger

wtxbadger [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Appreciate the advice. I did have serious doubts on this one but it ran and drove out well so I figured I would get some opinions on it.

I have heard stories about the stuff they put down on the roads back east being really tough on vehicles and this one seems to confirm that.

I agree completely on liking the 2nd Gen but the payments sure would be nice going into the bank account instead.

6. Jun 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Yea man i know how you feel. The first gens are "tougher" IMO but the second gens I think feel more like a truck should. Maybe it's just the big guy in a small truck to an even smaller 1st gen lol. But the price is nice and payments suck. If you don't mind me asking what kind of situation are you in? Money left on truck ? Cost of 04 Tacoma and what the dealers offering would help us out on this deal

7. Jun 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    tacoma04

tacoma04 Laissez les bons temps rouler

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Northern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB BBP
    Since you are in Texas, you can find a 1st gen that isn't an east coast truck. Pass on this one and just keep looking. My 04 double cab was an east Texas truck till I got it and now it is a Cajun Yota:thumbsup:

8. Jun 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    wtxbadger

wtxbadger [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Don't mind sharing the particulars a bit. Not in a bind on making the payments. Traded an 05 Tundra double cab in on the Tacoma a few months back. I always try to pay cash money for my vehicles or pay them off in a very short time. Really liked the Tundra but it had transmission and electrical problems so it seemed like the time to get rid of it. Got a fairly reasonable deal on trade and owe around 13K on the Tacoma. Making the payment is not a problem but it always chaps me to make a payment on a vehicle when I could be using the money to either feather my retirement nest for the day I am able to call it quits and do something different or use it for fishing or hunting. They are asking $12,500 for the 04. After I saw the rust issues I did not get down to any serious horse trading with them and have no idea what they would offer. Their asking price seems a little high considering the rust issues and some minor body damage on the left rear and left front. Looks like they clipped something on the front drives side bumper and replaced the stock bumper with an ARB unit and the rear panel in front of the bumper was hit by something and not repaired. Neither one of these is real noticeable but it is there. The truck is an xtra cab with the TRD package. Cruise, tilt, ac, 5 speed manual, 4X4, and 3.4 V6. Ran well during the test drive and 4 Hi and low worked. Interior is clean with normal wear and no seat tears, worn pedals, or other issues.

9. Jun 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Ah I see. It looks as if you should be able to come out to where technically you traded ur old truck for a first gen Tacoma financially if your patient enough

10. Jun 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    wtxbadger

wtxbadger [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    That was pretty much my line of thought on it. A straight up trade on the difference with some room to cuss and discuss the fees on title etc.

11. Jun 16, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Yea and or add some extra features on your new one haha

12. Jun 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    wtxbadger

wtxbadger [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Yep. Guess I will keep on looking around for that 1st Gen. Sure was a lot of fun to drive a standard shift again. Been missing that for a while now.

Appreciate everyone's feedback on this.

13. Jun 16, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    I felt the same way. man glad to help

14. Jun 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    Massachusetts + Already visible rust = Run like hell.

Mine is a 2003 and I have absolutely no rust and you could eat off of my frame (of course it gets a thorough pressure washing and repainting each year - sorry I'm OCD)

15. Jun 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    my 2001 hsas zero rust. I'm in Frisco. That truck there has seen some harsh winters with corrosives from the road-try to shop around more for one from out this way. Smart move financially and will give back to you in the future.
    Best of luck man

16. Jun 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    ataylor04

ataylor04 Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    04 DC TRD 4X4
    I live on the West coast, have purchased 2 vehicles from the East coast and I can tell you that the corrosion will cause you nothing but problems. My first was a Jeep with 32000 miles and I have had to have the brakes completely redone twice. I recently puerchased an 04 from Long Island and it has some mild surface rust and I am looking at a lot of money or many hours to fix it. Keep looking and you will eventually find your perfect vehicle. I love the 1st Gen and highly recommend one.

17. Jun 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    wtxbadger

wtxbadger [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Appreciate everyone's advice. Definitely going to wait, find a good clean truck and not get in a hurry.

Thanks

wtxbadger

18. Jun 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    GT5050

GT5050 Active Member

Member:
    Good call on the waiting. I'm a fairly recent Tacoma owner, but did it for the same reason as what you're trying to get rid of your 2nd gen - to cut costs. Wasn't in a bind, but had a pretty new car that I was hardly using as I drive a company car during the week now. I found a truck (2004 Double Pre-Runner) that was in visibly good shape, relatively low mileage (70k), and drove awesome. Looked at it at night, but I ran the Carfax on it, and found it to be from CT (I'm in FL). Went back to inspect the underside in daylight, and sure enough pretty rusty. Posted on here about it, but my gut feeling to scratch it off my list was confirmed by others suggestions.

Moral of the story is that I was patient, looked at many trucks but had pretty strict standards of what I would settle for. Turned out well - found a babied FL truck, rust free (heck even ding free), and runs like new. It even has less miles than the one I initially looked at with only 58k, plus the one I got is a TRD. Pretty happy I resisted pulling the trigger too early.

Products Discussed in

To Top