Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

fixing a leaky steering rack

Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
MacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
fixing a leaky steering rack

So my power steering has started moaning and groaning. I've been replacing the fluid every couple of days to keep from burning the pump out. Has anyone had any success with the stop leak fluids or repairing the rack? Ill post some pictures in a bit.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
it's time for a new or reman one, have fun with that I am about to do my 3rd
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
If you are going the remanned route, I just used these guys in Michigan for a rack for my wife's Audi...great product, great customer service.

http://jorgenauto.com/

Haven't used them yet for a Tacoma though.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
"Repairing" would be the same as getting a remanufactured one. (i.e. they disassemble the rack, replace worn out components, install new seals, then pressure test)

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ring_rack.html
Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
BAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura aboutBAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura aboutBAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura about

Navy:
BAZZMAZZA's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with the steering rack. I just replaced my steering rack bushings that were worn this past weekend (Energy Suspension Bushings). You might want to think about replacing those "while you are in there" in addition to inner / outer tie rod ends if they are worn. You really would not be adding any additional work to the job. There is some good right ups in the DIY section.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
MacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately, my method of "pour fluid in every other morning" means that everything above my skid plate is saturated with ps fluid. I might just surrender to my mechanic on this one.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Heather
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Mine started leaking because the power steering fluid ate the seals. Replace it with a rebuilt one from the auto parts store and fill it with ATF. That's what I did, and I have no more leaks!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
k2raus is on a distinguished road
k2raus's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I was just told that I had a power steering fluid leak in a boot in the rack and pinion and that the boot cannot be replaced and that the whole rack and pinion had to be replaced to the tune of $1,200. Or I could watch the power steering fluid level, as the leak is slow. At this point, 57,000 miles, I am now officially fed up with my 2006 Taco. Prior to the warranty going out I had multiple things go wrong, axle leaks, front end squeaks/problems, suspension problems. The list goes on. All in all it is the most problematic vehicle I have ever owned. And I don't even go off road. It's a means of transportations for me and a place to keep my groundskeeping tools. I thought Tacomas were dependable. With my low miles I don't think I should be having such major problems.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #9

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
@ k2raus

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with your new taco. Since it's a slow leak, I would suggest watching the fluids for a few months and adding some stop leak into it. My leak is too big for that to be an option.

Has anyone taken apart the rack & pinion before? I found the schematics online at ttora as well as a pretty good write up:

Schematics
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Repa...0Gear/comp.pdf

Write up:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...teering+repair

Upon closer inspection, it looks like my leak is somewhere in the Control Valve Housing. Can I remove this without having to remove the whole rack? My plan is to replace the O rings and see if my situation improves.

Any tips?