1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

fixing a leaky steering rack

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MacGyvR, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Jun 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    So my power steering has started moaning and groaning. I've been replacing the fluid every couple of days to keep from burning the pump out. Has anyone had any success with the stop leak fluids or repairing the rack? Ill post some pictures in a bit.

2. Jun 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Converted / 2017 OR
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    it's time for a new or reman one, have fun with that I am about to do my 3rd

3. Jun 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    If you are going the remanned route, I just used these guys in Michigan for a rack for my wife's Audi...great product, great customer service.

http://jorgenauto.com/

Haven't used them yet for a Tacoma though.

4. Jun 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  5. Jun 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    BAZZMAZZA

BAZZMAZZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 and then some...
    OME-882 Coils + Nitro- Sport shocks, ARB Compressor, Spare fuse box, ALL-PRO Bedrack
    Good luck with the steering rack. I just replaced my steering rack bushings that were worn this past weekend (Energy Suspension Bushings). You might want to think about replacing those "while you are in there" in addition to inner / outer tie rod ends if they are worn. You really would not be adding any additional work to the job. There is some good right ups in the DIY section.

6. Jun 20, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    MacGyvR

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    Unfortunately, my method of "pour fluid in every other morning" means that everything above my skid plate is saturated with ps fluid. I might just surrender to my mechanic on this one.

Tak07 likes this.
  7. Jun 20, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    H Bomb

H Bomb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SAS'd 92 Pickup/08 SR5 Tacoma
    Mine started leaking because the power steering fluid ate the seals. Replace it with a rebuilt one from the auto parts store and fill it with ATF. That's what I did, and I have no more leaks!

Tak07 likes this.
  8. Jul 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    k2raus

k2raus Member

Member:
    Well, I was just told that I had a power steering fluid leak in a boot in the rack and pinion and that the boot cannot be replaced and that the whole rack and pinion had to be replaced to the tune of $1,200. Or I could watch the power steering fluid level, as the leak is slow. At this point, 57,000 miles, I am now officially fed up with my 2006 Taco. Prior to the warranty going out I had multiple things go wrong, axle leaks, front end squeaks/problems, suspension problems. The list goes on. All in all it is the most problematic vehicle I have ever owned. And I don't even go off road. It's a means of transportations for me and a place to keep my groundskeeping tools. I thought Tacomas were dependable. With my low miles I don't think I should be having such major problems.

9. Jul 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    MacGyvR

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    @ k2raus

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with your new taco. Since it's a slow leak, I would suggest watching the fluids for a few months and adding some stop leak into it. My leak is too big for that to be an option.

Has anyone taken apart the rack & pinion before? I found the schematics online at ttora as well as a pretty good write up:

Schematics Write up: Upon closer inspection, it looks like my leak is somewhere in the Control Valve Housing. Can I remove this without having to remove the whole rack? My plan is to replace the O rings and see if my situation improves.

Any tips?

10. Jan 21, 2020 at 4:41 AM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    Reviving an old thread... I helped my buddy’s kid do a tune up/oil change yesterday and he had power steering fluid everywhere. They had already brought it to the dealership and Toyota mechanic said it was possibly leaking power steering hoses. For those who have done this, is it fair enough to say it’s the rack that’s leaking ?

11. Jan 21, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    thenodnarb

thenodnarb Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4 379k and counting
    if it's in the engine bay it's got to be from either hoses, or reservoir. Toyota tech is probably right. they ain't dumb. now if it's in the ground and steering rack boots only then it's the rack.

QMEDJoe likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top