Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

96 tacoma rear diff help

Old 06-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
SiriusC1024 is on a distinguished road
Name: Braxton
SiriusC1024's Tacoma Gallery
96 tacoma rear diff help

Hello, I am new to this forum. The problem that brought me here is with the rear diff of my truck, and no one seems to have the answer.

A bolt backed out of the ring gear and got caught between the ring gear and pinion, shearing some teeth. I can't find the replacement parts, nor can I find a junked tacoma within 200 miles of where I live.

However, there are plenty of T100's. So what I am wondering is if anybody knows if I can directly swap the diff from a T100 into my tacoma? I know that they both use the 8.4 ring and the driveshaft will bolt up. Will the axle splines from my tacoma fit? Thank you.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/#T100-Tundra

Yes, the third will fit. Both are 30 spline...
Old 06-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Ok I was thinking about doing like you said and put the whole axle in from a T100, but isn't the wheel spacing different by 2" on the two trucks. That wouldn't have any affect on handling?

And my truck is a dd and repairing it is urgent, so I don't think I'll go the new gearing route just yet
Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Thank you (post #3). I saw that site, but I didn't want to pull the trigger without some confirmation. Looks like my truck will be back on the road tomorrow hopefully.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
Ok I was thinking about doing like you said and put the whole axle in from a T100, but isn't the wheel spacing different by 2" on the two trucks. That wouldn't have any affect on handling?

And my truck is a dd and repairing it is urgent, so I don't think I'll go the new gearing route just yet
Yeah..... I say just swap the 3rd. The t100 axles are about 67" wide whereas Tacoma axles are only about 60"!!! (BTW, all that info is in the link I posted as well... )
Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
Thank you (post #3). I saw that site, but I didn't want to pull the trigger without some confirmation. Looks like my truck will be back on the road tomorrow hopefully.
oh ok, gotcha... Good luck!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Thanks guys. I'll update tomorrow to let you know how it goes.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
oooo..maybe ill swap one back there why i go LT up front
Heck yeah, they're PERFECT for that!