Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

looking to buy first gen. tacoma

Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
el.wood is on a distinguished road
el.wood's Tacoma Gallery
looking to buy first gen. tacoma

Hello,

This is my first time, so I apologize if it is a bit awkward. I am looking to buy my first tacoma. this one:

http://www.zubesimportauto.com/01TRD4X4.html

I am a little concerned about the mileage but from what I've read as long as they're well maintained it shouldn't be an issue. The price seems a little steep but it is a pre-owned dealer so I'm sure they're trying to get their cut. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. -El
Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with IDtrucks. The mileage is doable but maintenance is key. Are they offering any warranty? Their list of maintenance items is fairly complete but with what guarantee?

Offer $10K cash (reasonable) if you can and go from there but be willing to walk away. With dealerships... especially non-brand used dealerships, if you can walk in with cash or guaranteed loan (cite check) from an outside source, you are better off managing the deal effectively. Avoid any type of in-house financing if you can as you will generally get screwed.

Looks like a clean truck but I would inspect the hell out of it... frame (rust, straightness, cracks, fresh welds), check for any fluid leaks or fluids sitting on top or around the engine block/headers; check all electrical components... even the cigarette lighter. And put the vehicle through all gears during a test drive (get it up to highway speeds and note any vibrations) and ask to test the 4WD (on an off-road location... nothing radical but definitely not pavement).

Incidentally, I just sold my 2000 SR5 4X4 4cyl manual for $9K and it had almost 200K miles on it. Good luck, OP!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
el.wood is on a distinguished road
el.wood's Tacoma Gallery
Warranty

There is a 30 day/1000 mile warranty on the work they did, he offered to extend it. What should I ask for regarding the warranty?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Tashier is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
Tashier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
150k isn't bad at all. That's about average for these trucks at this point, just as long as the timing belt was changed and all 100k maintenance was done. the 11g price tag is pretty steep. take about 2000 off and that would be more realistic imo.
+1 everything he said.