Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Painting chrome flares on a 96?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Painting chrome flares on a 96?

Ive been wanting to paint the chrome on the flares on my 96 but im not sure how to prep it correctly and if it would hold up with flat black spray paint? If anyone has any tips or if theyve done it give me some advice?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Sand it down real well. I'd start with 150 grit and work your way up to 1000 grit to get it nice and smooth. Then prime. Then paint. Then clear coat. Should hold up well.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
DoubleTake is on a distinguished road
DoubleTake's Tacoma Gallery
What about Plastidip? I am in the same situation and was just going to use plastidip.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lot of people swear by it. My only experience with it sucked. I peeled it off and will never use it again. Could have been user error for sure, but I am not down with the derp.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
DoubleTake is on a distinguished road
DoubleTake's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Lot of people swear by it. My only experience with it sucked. I peeled it off and will never use it again. Could have been user error for sure, but I am not down with the derp.
I guess if I dont like it I will peel it off and paint. You think spray paint will hold up on the fender trim. I want flares, but painting the fender trim will be a cheap alternative.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTake View Post
I guess if I dont like it I will peel it off and paint. You think spray paint will hold up on the fender trim. I want flares, but painting the fender trim will be a cheap alternative.
I think if you prep it well and paint/clear it well, it should hold up.

If you're down with the plastidip, do it first. And see if it holds up. Like you said, if it doesn't or you don't like the way it looks, just peel it off.