Old 06-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Bruno will become famous soon enoughBruno will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Bruno
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
Need help replacing all 4 ball joints

Bought 4 moog BJs.
Have truck on jack, wheel off.
I've removed the nut holding the upper BJ to the UCA.
Took off the upper BJ boot.

I'm cranking the BJ separator between the spindle and UCA, it won't budge.
I've hit the upper BJ with a hammer, can't get it out.

Need suggestions under car typing with phone
Old 06-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Bought 4 moog BJs.
Have truck on jack, wheel off.
I've removed the nut holding the upper BJ to the UCA.
Took off the upper BJ boot.

I'm cranking the BJ separator between the spindle and UCA, it won't budge.
I've hit the upper BJ with a hammer, can't get it out.

Need suggestions under car typing with phone
Yeah, the uppers are a bitch. I ended up removing the whole spindle/knuckle and having a shop press them out. At the very least you'll need some sort of bj press tool to get them outa the top of the spindle and to press the new ones back in.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
if you go to autozone, you can get balljoint/tie rod end removers. they look like a big "U" with a bolt running down the middle. attatch a large wrench to the bolt and it will pop right out. trust me this is the easiest way\

EDIT: actually now that i took a better look at Digi's picture above, its the same concept
Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Yeah, the uppers are a bitch. I ended up removing the whole spindle/knuckle and having a shop press them out. At the very least you'll need some sort of bj press tool to get them outa the top of the spindle and to press the new ones back in.
How did you get the spindle off the UCA? I'll take em to a shop to press the new ones in but as of now I can't separate them. Did u take the spindle off the LCA before you disconnected the spindle from the UCA?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white toy taco View Post
if you go to autozone, you can get balljoint/tie rod end removers. they look like a big "U" with a bolt running down the middle. attatch a large wrench to the bolt and it will pop right out. trust me this is the easiest way

EDIT: actually now that i took a better look at Digi's picture above, its the same concept
What brand puller remover is it? Got two pullers from Oreilly and neither fit.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Bruno;5268318]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post

How did you get the spindle off the UCA? I'll take em to a shop to press the new ones in but as of now I can't separate them. Did u take the spindle off the LCA before you disconnected the spindle from the UCA?
Ah, I mis-read your first post. haha, I covered the 2nd hurdle and you are stuck on the first hurdle.

I used one of these. The "U" shaped ones that Gian recommended were all to small to fit over the stock UCA.

It is not ideal but we made it work by putting 2 of the arms on the wheel side of the UCA and a sigle arm on the coil spring side of the UCA. Another set of hands will be helpful until it is snug and you start cranking on it.

btw, when that thing lets go it'll sound like a gunshot going off in your ear.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Digiratus;5268351]
Quote:
Ah, I mis-read your first post. haha, I covered the 2nd hurdle and you are stuck on the first hurdle.

I used one of these. The "U" shaped ones that Gian recommended were all to small to fit over the stock UCA.

It is not ideal but we made it work by putting 2 of the arms on the wheel side of the UCA and a sigle arm on the coil spring side of the UCA. Another set of hands will be helpful until it is snug and you start cranking on it.

btw, when that thing lets go it'll sound like a gunshot going off in your ear.
Ok cool, gonna see if I can get ahold of one of these. In the meantime I've taken the spindle off the LCA. Gonna see if I can angle it better and try the separator again.

Thanks for the help fellas, keep the ideas flowing. I'll update as I move along.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
FU€£!!!

It's not budging. I had a puller on it like the one above and cranked as hard as I could until the pulled warps and slips off. Other option is to try the ball joint separator with like a 6 foot breaker bar over the end.

I'm at a loss. Now I'm thinking of removing the UCA and taking both pieces to the shop for replacement. This is pissing me off. Open to suggestions. Can't even drive it now. Brutal.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
have you tried putting the bj in a vice and using the bits? may be able to control things better and get more oomph on it? Did you take out the snap ring holding the upper on?

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...ce+ball+joints
Old 06-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossmaster View Post
have you tried putting the bj in a vice and using the bits? may be able to control things better and get more oomph on it? Did you take out the snap ring holding the upper on?

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...ce+ball+joints
Haven't gotten there yet...

BUT, I just managed to get the ball joint out of the UCA...I used a 4 ft extension over the BJ separator.

Now onto removing the BJ from the spindle....sigh...
Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb609 View Post
Is that for the upper or lowers or both?

I now have the lower ball joint out but the tie rod is in the lower BJ pretty good. Gonna try the same orielly ball joint puller things I already took back.

In way over my head.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Pitman arm tool for the UCA and LCA balljoints.

Balljoint tool for the tie rods.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post

this is exctly what i used. it worked like a charm
Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Kinda late chiming in here & all good suggetions, now this is what to do to remove, get a hammer, a big hammer (stay with me here it aint a joke ) Now Smack the spindle around where the ball joint goes in a few times HARD !!! Dont try to "aim for the cheap seats hard ", but hit it with authority, since you're changing ball joints anyway hit the top of it now,

look down, it is now seperated... You DID remember to remove C clips right ??
Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post

Balljoint tool for the tie rods.

how much are these tools typically??
Old 06-21-2012, 04:35 AM   #17
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is that for the upper or lowers or both?

I now have the lower ball joint out but the tie rod is in the lower BJ pretty good. Gonna try the same orielly ball joint puller things I already took back.

In way over my head.
I used it on my upper but it is pretty versatile. I don't see why it wouldn't work on both.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #18
505 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
how much are these tools typically??
i think the top one is like $15-$20 and i would assume that the other one would be around the same. not too expensive
Old 06-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #19
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
So far I've used a standard ball joint separator "fork" with a 3-4ft extension on it. That has popped both the upper and lower BJs. Then I used a pitman arm tool for the tie rod.

I've installed the MOOG lower BJ and this morning I'm going to try and press out the upper BJ from the spindle and replace it with a MOOG. If I can't get it, Im gonna take the spindle to a shop.

This is all for the right side. Then its onto the left...which I'm sure will get done in a 1/4 the time.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
So fucking sick of this shit.

I tried every combo I had of 2 pitman puller tools, a ball joint remover/installer (looks like a C Clamp), and a bunch of other ways. I can't get the upper ball joint out of the spindle.

And to top things off, I get down and check out the lower MOOG BJ this morning only to find two tiny tears in the boot.

What a fucking mistake this was. Gonna have to take the spindle into a shop. FUCK!!!!

Pardon the french.

Products Discussed in this Thread