Notices

shocks and maybe coils....

Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
zu13 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Alex
zu13's Tacoma Gallery
shocks and maybe coils....

what is the best shocks i can get for my 2001 toyota tacoma double cab? I was thinking 5100 bilsteins because we just put some one my 4runner but i wanted to hear your guy's input! If we do shocks is there any way to get lift without adding new coils? If not what is the best cheapest set of shocks and coils we can get?

thank you for all your help and sorry for the frequently asked question!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
5100s and eibach or ome coils. The 5100s will give 2.5" lift with stock coils and eibachs will give a little more than 3" with the 5100s set at 0". ome makes different types of coils that you can look into. Thats the best bang for buck when it comes to lift.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Army:
zu13's Tacoma Gallery
ok sweet thank you!!! and the 5100 with stock coils will give me that much lift? i didnt know they had rear height adjustable?

how hard is the front shockss to replace?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
only the fronts are height adjustable by adding preload to the stock size coil springs...

for the rear, you would need to add new leaf packs or add a leaf or shackles to gain height, then run longer travel rear shocks...

be forewarned that adding preload lift to a first gen dcab can result in some stiff rides onroad...
Old 06-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Army:
zu13's Tacoma Gallery
ok well we have decided not to go with a lift just keep the coils stock. we are doing a budget build! so what shocks would be best to get? local shocks from advanced auto the ones that are highly reccomended with the excellent tag on them (60-85 dollars a shock) or should i go online and get some 5100 bilsteins? or what would you guys reccomend?

Also is there any good write ups of how to replace the front shocks i cant find one sorry if there is one i tryed searching but i guess i used the wrong key words....
Old 06-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
You can lift without getting coils. Im running 5100s @ 2.5" with stock coils. Go for the bilsteins its definately going to be worth it and its almost the same price as the advance auto ones. If you buy any new shocks your gonna have to take them to a shop to have them swap the coils, which costs like 40 bucks. Even if you dont want any lift just leave the billys at 0" pm me if you need help replacing the shocks. I can help you out
Old 06-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
amocat 777 is on a distinguished road

amocat 777's Tacoma Gallery
I recently also went w the 5100's all around ! RIde is soooo sweet, takes the abuse off road also.