Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to replace a starter in a 2000 prerunner 2.7L tacoma?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Apocojules21 is on a distinguished road
Apocojules21's Tacoma Gallery
How to replace a starter in a 2000 prerunner 2.7L tacoma?

My taco is 2000 and has 188 K miles. It has problems starting "Click, Click". I have cleaned the terminal wires, they were dirty and it starting turning on again. But it lasted about a week and again "Click, click". The battery reads 12.9Vdc. I have had it all 12 years and probably needs a starter as I probably turned it on more than 15,000 times.

I'm sure that it probably needs a starter. Does anybody have instructions of how to replace it?

I read some people have ripped the transmission oil tube. Which I do not want to do.

Any help will be greatly appriciated since I have limited mechanical skills.

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Try this:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...OnlineOrdering
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Well if you have to replace the starter, its pretty easy, unbolt the wire harnesses that go to it and remove the bolts that hold it to the tranny. I believe their is 2 bolts to the transmission and 1 bolt for a wire harness? I can't remember. First time I changed it, it took me an hour. I didn't need to remove anything to get to it, maybe skid plate. But no oil tube.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Disconnect the battery!!!

Once you've done that it should be a nut and bolt type situation. Just be mindful of the surrounding components and you shouldn't have issues damaging anything.

Another thing to consider is that a battery can read fully charged at 12.6V or more with no load on it, and then drop dramatically when you try to start the truck. Get someone to try and start the engine (make sure it's in park or neutral) while you check the voltage on the battery. If it drops below 11.5V or so, the battery is shot.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Apocojules21 is on a distinguished road
Apocojules21's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you to all of you who respondes.

It appears the battery need replacement. Once I took the starter out, I bench tested and it was working fine. Apperatly the battey was not putting enough starting amps to the starter..

Thanks once again.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocojules21 View Post

It appears the battery need replacement. Once I took the starter out, I bench tested and it was working fine. Apperatly the battey was not putting enough starting amps to the starter..

Thanks once again.
Bench test doesn't mean much when dealing with worn contacts. There is no load on the starter motor and sometimes the contacts won't act up without a load.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocojules21 View Post

Thanks once again.
Before re-installing the starter, carefully pop off the solenoid end cap, and check the copper contacts. If they are really worn down, replace them. Cheap parts. Typically, when those contacts are worn down to paper thin, you'll get the 'click, click' when trying to start.