Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My 1998 3.4 V6 MAF

Old 06-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
My 1998 3.4 V6 MAF

So I'm about to do my spark plugs and clean the MAF and throttle body while I'm at it.

All the write ups I saw said to remove the two mounting screws on the MAF.

Mine doesn't have mounting screws. Mine has two bolts at the bottom (see pics).

I found this thread: http://forum.ih8mud.com/95-gen-toyot...af-sensor.html which explains my situation.

So I just undo those two bolts, remove the whole fandangled thing from the air intake tube and look for the wires to clean?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Im not 100% sure what your question is, but those two bolts do indead hold the MAF sensor on the intake. Remove those two bolts and pull the MAF sensor out
Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, found this: http://www.4runners.org/writeups/throttle/index.html

Much more helpful than the other one I was looking at
Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
yes its the two bolts, i believe 10mm. I used a good flashlight to to look into the tube to see the two wires, and to clean them. mine was dirty, i did it 3 times, soaked, let it dry, and 2 more times.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Also loosen the tube clamp right behind your thumb
Old 06-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
Also loosen the tube clamp right behind your thumb
Yeah I'm doing my spark plugs, so I was going to take that whole tube out for better access.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

make sure you get a few packs of spark plug boot grease when changing.
I don't know your miles, but I changed my wires while I was at it, I figure 100,000 miles is all I want on a set of wires, they don't cost that much.
next month I am going to replace the 3 coils, so they are fresh.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
make sure you get a few packs of spark plug boot grease when changing.
I don't know your miles, but I changed my wires while I was at it, I figure 100,000 miles is all I want on a set of wires, they don't cost that much.
next month I am going to replace the 3 coils, so they are fresh.
I have 152,000 miles on my truck.

I'll look into wires also if they're not that much.

What is spark plug boot grease? Is that the same as dielectric grease? I bought some of that.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

same stuff. keeps moisture out, and allows current to flow
reset your computer when you are done. the first drive it might idle funny, but give it 20 minutes to reset itself and if every thing is good it should run and idle better.
i know its backtracking but the coils are about 65 dollars each, so I had to place them in order of importance.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I have 152,000 miles on my truck.

I'll look into wires also if they're not that much.

What is spark plug boot grease? Is that the same as dielectric grease? I bought some of that.
Wow, you still have a young buck